free website stats program 09's - Extended Warranty or Not? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09's - Extended Warranty or Not?

If I read it right and correct me if I'm wrong ----- But make sure you read the fine print ---- Most extended warranties start the day you buy the scoot i.e. Say the factory warranty is 2 year and you buy a 5 year extd. you actually are getting only '3 years' extd. >>> Like I said PLEASE correct me if I'm "sideways" with this!!!!

If I read it right and correct me if I'm wrong ----- But make sure you read the fine print ---- Most extended warranties start the day you buy the scoot i.e. Say the factory warranty is 2 year and you buy a 5 year extd. you actually are getting only '3 years' extd. >>> Like I said PLEASE correct me if I'm "sideways" with this!!!!

That's the way it works. Just another "thank you" from the MOCO.

The information I received from my dealer was that as long as your 24 month warranty has not expired, you can extend it. It is an additional $ 150.00 over the price of taking it at the time of purchase.

As I recall you have 90 days or 3000 miles from the date of purchase to avoid the $150.00 charge but I'm not 100% sure on that.

That's the way it works. Just another "thank you" from the MOCO.

So---let's say the Extd. Wrnty. is $ 999.00 for 5 years --- you will have paid $ 399.60 ( 2 of the 5 yrs.) for something that is ALREADY covered under the factory warranty !!!??

The information I received from my dealer was that as long as your 24 month warranty has not expired, you can extend it. It is an additional $ 150.00 over the price of taking it at the time of purchase.

As I recall you have 90 days or 3000 miles from the date of purchase to avoid the $150.00 charge but I'm not 100% sure on that.

So 150 bucks more on TOP of the cost of the Extd. wrnty.

Like Glider says, you can get the extended warranty as long as the factory warranty is in effect. But if you get it so many days after the sale, it will cost $150 more. When I bought my used 2006 the factory warranty had about a month left on it. So I was able to buy the extended warranty. I shopped around and found a dealer willing to waive the $150 additional charge.

All this is good info.

To confirm, if I choose not to get the warranty at date of purchase, I wait until the 24 month mark (miles dependant) and purchase the extended warranty (another 5 years) for the current price of $999 (and possibly an additional $150 fee on top of that). I can get 7 years of coverage, as long as I agree to pay $1,000 out of my pocket at that time.

It seems the $999 doesn't sound bad at the time of purchase, as you're paying around $19K already. However, it may be hard to bite just to fork out $1K in about two years to cover me for the next five. I'm sure it won't be hard to bite when we see repair bills though.

I think you need to check the price for 5 more years. The $999 price might be for a total of 5 years (2 years factory and 3 years extended warranty). You can buy different amounts of years for different prices. When I extended my warranty past the original 2 year factory warranty for 5 more years, it was about $1600 or so. That $999 price might be for only 3 years extra warranty past the factory warranty for a total of 5 years.

Something else you should consider is wheel and tire protection. It will cost some more but it would cover things like a tow in if you have a flat or bend a rim. Of course it also covers replacing bent rims and road hazards to the tires.

Last edited:
ServicePlan.jpg

Back