free website stats program 09's - Extended Warranty or Not? | Harley Davidson Forums

09's - Extended Warranty or Not?

09SG&Me

Just ordered the 09 Street Glide and so far, I have elected for the 5 year Extended Warranty.

Any thoughts out there if the Extended Warranty is worth the $999.00?

09SG&me

I just wrestled with this one myself. I bought an end of the model year 2008 Street Glide and elected not to take the extended warranty. I had a 2001 Road King that I bought new and never had a bit of trouble. It's really a personal decision. Congratulations !

sgsam

I didn't go for the extended warranty when I purchased my '08 Electraglide but I figure that if I can't break it in the first two years, its probably not going to break. This is Harley #4 for me and I have found them to be pretty reliable if they are maintained properly and not abused. I am also pretty comfortable doing my own repairs, maintainance etc. so the cost of labour is not a concern for me.

$999.00 for a five year extended warrant sounds pretty reasonable to me. With all the modern electronics etc. it doesn't take much of a malfunction to burn through a thousand bucks if something does go south.

Another benefit to the Motor Company extended warranty is that it is transferable which certainly doesn't hurt re-sale value if you sell it within the warranty period.

Of course the down side is you may be obliged to have all your servicing etc. done by the dealer to ensure warranty compliance which can also be pretty costly in the long run. If you have all your work done at the dealer anyway, then that is not a concern but one more factor to consider.

Congrats on the new bike. Get out there and ride!

I went with the extended warranty with my 2003 Electra Glide Classic. Don’t know why, didn’t think it would ever be used. Engine, exhaust, etc is bone stock, nothing but AMSOIL products used and the bike for the most part is babied. Then at 30,500 miles a camshaft failed (dealer said the cam wasn't hardend at the factory). The cost of the repair would have been more than the cost of the warranty.

Glad the warranty was there, really(edit) that the bike failed at 30,500 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know for sure if you can still use aftermarket parts (exhaust, etc) without having an impact on the warranty?

Try a search on the forum. There's many topics on this.

Yes you can use aftermarket parts as long as they don't do any damage.

I believe it is available as long as the factory warranty is in effect. I was told that it costs more if you wait till the end of the factory warranty. Probably a bunch of nonsense.

Back