free website stats program 09 loud transsmission-help | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 loud transsmission-help

Just a quick follow-up. The factory rep rode my bike today and agreed it was louder than most. When I asked him honestly how it rated with other 1st gear whine he said it was up there with the loudest. He said he'd call other reps and ask them if they'd had any luck quieting the louder 1st gear whine bikes by replacing 1st gear. Hopefully he'll get a positive feedback and I'll get a much quieter 1st gear. People can hear you coming a block away. I told him I've owned 4 harleys and this is the only one I've been embarrased to ride. I don't mind people looking but when they look because the think they're hearing a blown small block Chevy than it's too much. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. I'll post when and if it is.
Hoggy, did he say anything bout the metal Flakes? That'd be a big concern for me.
I remember when I picked up my Better Half's Brand new 05 Road King Custom, The front breaks on that thing sound like a pig squeeling. I was embarassed to ride it home. I took it back to the dealer several times, they finally told me that the wheels supplied on the custom were acting like bells and amplifying what would have been a normal disc break noise. They said they couldn't fix it. Man, I justa bout had a cow. Then one of the ol time Mecahnics at my local shop (the only guy that I'll let touch my bike, by the way), Jimmy, told me to switch the front rotors, put the left rotor on the right and the right rotor on the left. the noise went away and the break system didn't suffer any kind of performance loss. I'm happy as peaches now and my "better half" is off my back. My point is, you still need to find your self a good wrench, somebody you can trust and knows his stuff. Good Luck

There was a little metal in the oil but what I was really seeing and thought to be small flakes of metal were in reality just the silicon used by the factory for case assembly. I and my ASE certified friend would have bet a bunch that what we saw was fine metal in the oil. The analysis said oil tested good so I was wrong on that one. Wish I could take a good picture and post it so people here could see what I saw. Main thing is if they change 1st gear to be just half as loud I'll be happy. Keeping fingers grossed.

There was a little metal in the oil but what I was really seeing and thought to be small flakes of metal were in reality just the silicon used by the factory for case assembly. I and my ASE certified friend would have bet a bunch that what we saw was fine metal in the oil. The analysis said oil tested good so I was wrong on that one. Wish I could take a good picture and post it so people here could see what I saw. Main thing is if they change 1st gear to be just half as loud I'll be happy. Keeping fingers grossed.
Good news man, hope ya find a good wrench too.
...."may your chrome horse keep shining in the sun, and , Long may you Run" Neil Young

I see alot of posts about the fifth gear whine on the six speeds but I've never noticed it on mine. I do however have a pretty good whine in first gear when I wind it up good.

Back