free website stats program 09 loud transsmission-help | Harley Davidson Forums

09 loud transsmission-help

SIFIHD

I just bought a new 09 road glide and the sound of the trans. is very noticeable in fifth gear. what are your thoughts on this?

I also bought an 09 Road Glide last month and noticed 5th gear was loud. I asked the dealer and he said that was normal. I was also told that if you switch to a good synthetic trans oil like Royal Purple or Bellray it can quiet things down.

I recently made the change to Spectro 6 speed trans oil. This has made a significant difference for me. Everyone I talk to agrees that the 5th gear is a bit louder on the 6 speed than on the 5. It is my understanding that the new 6 speed tranny is a transmission with 6 speeds in the 5 speed case. That being said, Baker makes a 6 speed that fits into a 5 speed case and my understanding from friends who have made that conversion is that 5th gear is also a bit noisy on the Baker.
Does it mean there may be something wrong with the tranny from the factory? I highly doubt it. Are 5th gears inherently noisy in 6 speed transmissions? Possibly. I'd try the oil change first and make your own judgement on it. One last thing, remember that 6th gear is probably best suited for speeds above 60-63 MPH.

I understand that 5th gear is noisy because of the square cut gears (as opposed to the helical cut on the others). Using good quality syntetic in the trans all but eliminated the noise in mine. It also make a dramatic difference in the way the trans shifts. Much smoother. I also use the Spectro 6 speed oil. 75w140.

5th gear makes noise in all the 6 speeds. I thought they made it better on the newer touring bike with the use of the IDS, but it's not goin' away. there's almost 20,000 members on here and I haven't read one post about somebody loosing 5th gear yet.
I have an 07 Softail Standard, and when I first got it I thought it sounded funny. I now use Spectro 6 Speed in the Tranny and Redline in the Primary. (Next Oil Change I'm gonna give the Spectro Heavy duty Primary Chain Case a try in the primary.) I've got about 22,000 miles on the bike and now I really have to listen to hear the 5th gear noise, and if I'm not listening, I don't notice it at all. Maybe I've gotten used to it or maybe it's gotten quieter, either way I haven't had any problems with it.

With all that said, in 1999 I bought a Honda Shadow and I thought the Tranny sounded funny on that. I worried about it for a while then I just got used to it. today that bike has 75,000 miles on it and has never had a Tranny problem.
My point is Motors make noise, Transmissions make noise, and anything that moves and has friction is gonna make noise. Get to know the sound of your bike, that way when something goes wrong you'll know it.

I understand that 5th gear is noisy because of the square cut gears (as opposed to the helical cut on the others). Using good quality syntetic in the trans all but eliminated the noise in mine. It also make a dramatic difference in the way the trans shifts. Much smoother. I also use the Spectro 6 speed oil. 75w140.

This is what the dealer told me at 1,000 miles. Changed to HD syn and it is much less noticable, but still there. The pure syn oil might make it go away altogether.

Spectro 6 is the way to go, I have about 3000 mile on the grear lub change from sny3 oil,, it seemed the more miles i put on the quiter it got and smooother, I will be changing it here soon We will see whats on the plug.

This is what the dealer told me at 1,000 miles. Changed to HD syn and it is much less noticable, but still there. The pure syn oil might make it go away altogether.

Most here will tell you to get Syn 3 out of your bike, especially the transmission in any case. And I agree.

Back