free website stats program 09' HD Rocker Custom Any incite is greatly apricated | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09' HD Rocker Custom Any incite is greatly apricated

I asked the service manager at the local dealer about fuel filter replacement, he said they never need to be replaced.
So taking his word, I replaced the one on my 03 RKC, ran like a new bike

I believe that the shop manual states to replace the filter at 50,000 miles. You need to check the housing that filter secures to and the flexible hoses in the tank as they become very brittle when submerged in the fuel for a long period of time. They will turn brown. You will not be able to blow air through the hoses as the hose that connects to the bottom of the fuel tank has a check valve built into it and when you have the external hose removed that goes to the fuel rail disconnected the check valve closes. In my humble opinion if you are disturbing the hoses in the tank it would be best to replace them and again make sure you inspect the housing that the fuel filter and pressure connect to. You do not want to have to do this job twice

Sorry did not see photo that you had filter removed when trying to blow it out. There is also an o-ring that seats filter in housing. When you buy a new filter it comes with an O-ring. The filter is made of paper material and it breaks down over time causing it to become more restrictive to fuel flow. The best check is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge when you have tank back together and attached to bike. The fuel pressure gauge hooks up inline to bottom of the fuel tank quick disconnect and fuel hose to fuel rail.. when you turn on bike before starting the fuel pressure will build up to around 54 psi. This tells you that the tank fuel system is supplying the correct pressure start bike and monitor pressure. Then shut off bike and monitor the fuel pressure. If the pressure drops down quickly then something in tank is bleeding the fuel back into the tank. For the parts person to say that they have not sold any is insane, most people probably order the filter and o-ring kit on line. The fuel filter is not a cleanable part.

I would like to add.
Pressure can be in specs. But fuel volume is also important.
My tester has a tee in line with a button to open fuel flow to a volume beaker.
If idle quality changes or engine stalls when doing the volume test either the filter is restricted or the pump can't develop enough volume.
It only takes 1 tank of contaminated fuel to plug a filter.
25,000 miles ÷ 40 mpg = 625 gallons of fuel from multiple places.

Back