free website stats program '09 FLHP Losing Power | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 FLHP Losing Power

MY New addition of the SE Off Road tuner ws a problem when having HD do a Dyno tune. 29 and 39 per gallon was the best. WAY too rich. I took over and did my own programming.
I get 44+ per gallon and not lean. Power all over the RPM range. I'd bet on your Tune not being the best to suite your motor needs. Running way rich Does NOT produce more power. Just a Carbon'd up motor and exhaust.

That bike should not be lower than 40 worst and 45 would not surprise me.

Lot of good post here and Yes do the ccc test so You and WE know the results. Breezes Idea of Turning off the fuller is what I would do and see IF it improves DRASTICALLY and I would bet it will.

signed....BUBBIE

RE Reading some of your first post? Has the mileage come up since the change of fuel?

Checked intake and exhaust for leaks, found none. Removed fuelpak and ran bike, no difference other than popping on decel like crazy. Tank vent tube is clear. Clutch adjustment was the first thing I did, made no difference.

Next step I suppose is fuel rail pressure test. I ride rather fast and hard, and therefore expect lower than normal fuel economy, but where I'm at around 30 mpg, and having low power issues, makes no sense to me.

Do you have a major smell of gas when you stop the bike? Is there any gas smell in your oil?

That thread is good, very interesting, going to check intake leaks more carefully, injector seals as well.

No intake leaks confirmed by testing as per service manual with propane. Gonna replace the fuel pressure regulator tomorrow, relatively cheap and easy for $30 part. If that don't do it, I'll most likely replace entire fuel pump assembly.

Fuel pressure regulator and engine temperature sensor replaced today, no improvement.

Put a gauge set on the common rail, comes right to 60 psi and stays there. Rev the motor, no change, though I could feel the responsiveness of the motor lacking, as though this intermittent problem had surfaced at that time, really can't say for sure, point is the pressure did not drop over several minutes of idle and high idle. Also did not drop after the motor was shut off, held pressure for several minutes.

So if the fuel pump components are all functioning properly, whats left...

Mechanic today suggested changing the crank position sensor and maybe cleaning the vehicle speed sensor. He also suggested, about a month ago and I did it then, that I clean and properly dielectric grease the connector to the throttle control actuator, as it is sensitive to corrosion. This also did not help.

With all you have checked and done, it may not be the engine. Have you checked for dragging brakes? That it starts out strong and then gets "tired" could be the brakes heating up and dragging more as they get hot. How hard is it to push around after a ride? How do the lever and pedal feel cold and then after some riding? If the plugs and exhaust outlets are not sooty and black, your fuel can't be that far off. Since your fuel pressure holds well after shut down, your injectors are not leaking. Even so, have you ever run any injector cleaner through it? Poor atomization (dirty spray tips) is a possibility and it is very inexpensive to try an injector cleaner.

The other very slim possibility is a partially plugged exhaust which builds up back pressure at higher power settings (high flow) but would not be very noticeable at lower power settings (slower driving, lower flow). If your machine has one, the catalytic converter would be my choice for the restriction. If it was running rich before you bought and for most of the 7000 miles you put on, the cat could be restricted or plugged with soot. This about runs me out of ideas.

Back