free website stats program 09 Dyna SB tail light hookup | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Dyna SB tail light hookup

I may be late, however, I installed the LED tail light on my 05 deuce & did not need the load equalizer. I installed it last spring or so, haven't had any problems at all. I did get the harley light.

I expect to receive the HD tail light (69598-09A) this tuesday. You wouldn't have a picture of your install would you?

As Joy said, you probably do NOT need load equalizer for the tail light...only need it if you want the turnsignals to do multiple tasks like you see on most imported cages.

Any tail replacement light KIT worth "-its salt" should have all the correct plugs and wiring and should NOT require cutting or modification of your wiring IMHO...if so, get one that is PLUG and PLAY period.

Don't think this would be a "replacement" kit as it's going on an '06 SB. Cutting & splicing doesn't scare me though.. been doing it for years. UPS scheduled delivery for Tuesday so Wednesday I'll pull the fender & mock up the light to mark where I want the fender cut & take it into the shop. Back to the future.. (note tail light & hacked off fender on my KHK in the avatar pic.)

66cruiser, was not worried about you being able to do the deed, just that if you BUY a KIT it should be complete and if the proper R&D was done, there should be no cutting and splicing required by the end user to install. Why would (or should) you pay the premium and STILL have to worry about cutting, splicing etc. and personally provision wiring/connection from water intrusion, corrosion, electrical tape turning to goo (if you did not use heatshrink and seal the ends w/sealer), etc.

Knowing a bit about electronics engineering and track record of manufacterers for customer service, it just does not make sense to leave that part of the installation to chance. What it does is provide a nice out for manufacturer if warranty issues come up..."--did you install it properly...I'm so sorry, we guarantee the unit to be free from defects at the time of manufactur...blah blah...?"

Last edited:
66cruiser, was not worried about you being able to do the deed, just that if you BUY a KIT it should be complete and if the proper R&D was done, there should be no cutting and splicing required by the end user to install. Why would (or should) you pay the premium and STILL have to worry about cutting, splicing etc. and personally provision wiring/connection from water intrusion, corrosion, electrical tape turning to goo (if you did not use heatshrink and seal the ends w/sealer), etc.

Knowing a bit about electronics engineering and track record of manufacterers for customer service, it just does not make sense to leave that part of the installation to chance. What it does is provide a nice out for manufacturer if warranty issues come up..."--did you install it properly...I'm so sorry, we guarantee the unit to be free from defects at the time of manufactur...blah blah...?"
I'm not sure we understand each other. I'm not buying a kit. I'm buying an OEM tail light for an 09 FXDB to install on my '06. I really don't know what kind of connection it will have and it would be nice if it were plug & play, but I feel sure that my experience in electronics & wiring will allow me to hook the thing up (& because I will be hacking off a piece of the fender, I'll probably want to shorten some wires in the process). Warranty issues seldom keep me from doing what I want to do.. to paraphrase that American hero (who's name escapes me at the moment) "darn the warranties, full speed ahead!". btw, my experience was aboard ship where (salt) water intrusion & corrosion was certainly a major consideration.

66cruiser, my bad...I thought you were looking for a kit, with so many tail light assemblies to choose from...and as Hobbit says the HD one(s) which there are tonnes of styles to choose from, are plug and play...just have to figure out which one, flame, skull, iron cross, blackout, red, chrome trim/ or no chrome trim...just bring cash...HD has a very helpful staff to help us depart with neatly piled bills in our wallets. :D

I'll know in a day or two.. Scheduled UPS dlvy today & I should be able to get to the fender in a couple days. I'll mock it up to see how it works then take the fender in for chop & paint.

looking at tmy 09 manual its all plug and play
But not, it seems for installing an 09 light on an 06 bike! Do you by any chance have the 09 parts book? & if so could you give me the part nr. for the plug that goes into the tail light socket? Also from the service manual tell me the color codes for the wires that go to pins j1, j2 & j3 in the tail light? Thanks for any assistance you can give me.. Looks like I get to do a bit of cutting & splicing after all.
09TLSocket.gif

I know this is probably a silly question, but do you have a wiring diagram...to identify the wiring or color codes? It looks like the socket' pins are labeled or numbered (a good thing) even though they obviously are not compatible with that plug-in connector. Does it look like there is some vendor noame embossed on the connector or mate i.e. Molex, AMP, 3M etc.?

Table 7-8.Tail Lamp Wires: FXDB Only
FUNCTION NO. TYPE WIRE COLOR CAVITY
Tail lamp [93] 4-pin Deutsch Not used 1
R/Y 2
O/W 3
BK 4

Perfect! Now all I need is the part number for the connector plus the socket pins if they're not included.. will start my voyage into parts guys' Bermuda Triangle this AM. Don't think I'll need the schematic for the '09 after all.

Back