free website stats program 08 RoadKing hot start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 RoadKing hot start

Sounds like the bendix spring is weak...grinding noise then is disengaged. Retry starting and same thing. Then will start normally. I have been starting without waiting for the check engine light to go out and this seems to fix my problem. Just hope I don't create a new problem. I don't want to replace the compensator till a last resort...too many $'s for this fix.

I would prefer to wait till the check engine light goes out but the Hot Start problem I am having seems to go away when I do a quick start. I may try waiting a little longer to hit the starter but before the full timing cycle and see what this does for me.

Thanks Grillfish, I may go ahead and change the compensator. Wonder what the labor is for this mod?
Do you have any warranty left on this bike? If you do have them change the starter and check the ring gear, then as long as they are in there maybe go with the SE compensator, Capital Jack

I just did some compensator work recently on my 08 because the primary area was getting increasingly noisy. Found the compensator bolt was working itself loose and found blue loctite had been used. Found another post on this forum on an 08 RK where the user commented that their compensator bolt also had been blue loctited. I see you're riding an 08. May be worth a check. Especially if the primary area has a lot of mechanical chatter.

Never had any problems with the starter kicking out, but did have problems restarting when the bike was up to operating temperature. Switched to ethanol free gas and it starts clean first time every time, even when at normal operating temp.

Sounds like your starter clutch is going out, replaced mine at 24,500 miles.
when it finally died it would not even engage but just spin.
In my opinion all Harley OEM starter clutches are garbage, had this happen on a evo to.
08 street glide, daily driver.
1 month out of warranty.

Bikerfishman: This summer I had a transmission seal die on a road trip. I was 2 months out of warrenty. I paid for the repair and called HD customer service and they repaid me for the repair less $!00. Give it a try.

Note: My dealer didn't help at all but the out of state dealer was a big help with the factory. Good Luck

Thanks Monterey County HD, SportyBill

Thanks for the idea Bill, think I will peruse that.
So far out of warranty I have replaced the starter clutch
Odometer button twice that pushed though the inner fairing
the second time I re-engineered it so its bullet proof now.
Radio volume +- switch in the left control.that denigrated
and I need to replace front wheel bearings
and seriously thinking about bypassing the rear ABS due to being just plain scary
in the rain, and yes guys I have done the latest down load for the brakes.

Biker, I don't have ABS on my Scooter but was very curious as to what happens in the rain. Does it cause the rear wheel to chatter?

Its like a slow motion pulse of brake action, The rear has always been that way even after the download but the front seems to be ok even when the ABS kicks in, I have read a thread were its the other way around, bad front and ok back

I will start a new thread on this in the general section in the next few hours and get in more detail

Well no sooner than I post saying I've not had the issue, I'm gassing up today and fire it up and get the bang and then nothing. First time it's done that. May need to back off on that compensator torque tightening I did on it :laugh

Was looking across this and other HD forums and seems lots of folks have had this issue of starter kickback, and every one of them says its the stock compensator and installing the SE comp fixes it. And fix it sooner rather than later else you risk damage to other components if it's a persistent problem. And there were other mods I wanted to do on my bike first but seeing as I didn't go with the extended warranty - those will have to wait -

Back