free website stats program 08 RoadKing hot start | Harley Davidson Forums

08 RoadKing hot start

My 08 RoadKing starts fine when cold but when hot the starter often kicks out when cranking. This is a problem with several friends bikes too.

My 08 RoadKing starts fine when cold but when hot the starter often kicks out when cranking. This is a problem with several friends bikes too.

Are yours and theirs same year and do they all have the same mods????

I would think Lean condition but Don't know what is done on these bikes...

A friend with a 08 road glide(slip-ons and air) installed TFI and his slow starting problem went away,,, saying it Runs COOLER now also...

By chance, do you all fill-up at the same gas station???

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the suggestions....I run Premium gas and always start in neutral. I have heard that I should not wait for the check engine light to go out before starting. I have been cranking up just after turning on the ign sw. This works...Is this bad for the bike? I thought the wait was for the electric fuel pump to get fuel to the engine. The engine starts like when new...love it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have the same yr bikes but different models. We all get gas when on the road so they are always different places. A mechanic friend mentioned a leaking injector on 1 cyclinder???

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions....I run Premium gas and always start in neutral. I have heard that I should not wait for the check engine light to go out before starting. I have been cranking up just after turning on the ign sw. This works...Is this bad for the bike? I thought the wait was for the electric fuel pump to get fuel to the engine. The engine starts like when new...love it.

I have an 08 Softail Heritage. will it hurt the bike to not wait until engine light blinks off to start?

I have heard that I should not wait for the check engine light to go out before starting.

I don't see a problem from doing otherwise but it only makes sense to wait for an ECM to finish its POR (power on reset command) before asking it to walk through it's firmware code.

I always wait for the Check Engine Light to finish its sequence (2nd light if a historical code is present) before I hit the start key. That is just a standard procedure of the electronic industry.

The ECM would have to be protected from stepping into it's code before a completed POR took place but it is just a good habit to wait for a completed boot. So if doing what your doing helps with starting, maybe the injectors are weeping.(?)

Sounds like the bendix spring is weak...grinding noise then is disengaged. Retry starting and same thing. Then will start normally. I have been starting without waiting for the check engine light to go out and this seems to fix my problem. Just hope I don't create a new problem. I don't want to replace the compensator till a last resort...too many $'s for this fix.

I would prefer to wait till the check engine light goes out but the Hot Start problem I am having seems to go away when I do a quick start. I may try waiting a little longer to hit the starter but before the full timing cycle and see what this does for me.

Thanks Grillfish, I may go ahead and change the compensator. Wonder what the labor is for this mod?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back