free website stats program 08 nighster starting issues... | Harley Davidson Forums

08 nighster starting issues...

bio_research

Contributor
I have about 5800 miles on my bike and it seems that the starter isn't engaging... I try to start it and I can just hear is whirling... I had to pop start her to get home today... If I his "start" while it's idling she will turn over on the next starting attempt, but won't engage if is doesn't start and I try to push the button again. I believe the starter drive/clutch is messed up (maybe) or the spring is sticking? It's over for the 5k service (because the 1k was a little late, so I figured I could have the starter repaired at the same time unless it's a pretty easy fix. I have build cars in the past, so I'm good with tools... I just don't feel like getting into an involved project with the bike I ride to work everyday. I have put about 3500miles on her in 3 months.

Any help would be great. I am new here, but did a search. Someone else had an issue that sounded the same, but I wanted to check to see if there was anything simple it may be.

Sounds like the starter motor is working but the drive is not comming out to engage the ring gear on the clutch basket

Are you still on the original battery? For an '08 bike, I'd have the battery load tested or simply replaced before throwing time and money at anything else.

Just out of curiosity, need to ask, is this the "original" battery in your bike, or was it replaced already? I'd say, if it's the original, check your battery charge & see if it's full, or low...should read 12.6 - 12.8 on meter. If that's good - then go to plan B & check cable connections (both ends) to make sure they're tight/greased. Finally, if battery & cables are good, could be starter gear. Good luck!

Sounds like the starter motor is working but the drive is not comming out to engage the ring gear on the clutch basket

This is what I was thinking... I have a '65 mustang that the starter needs a tappingwith a hammer sometimes to get going and this kind of reminds me of that issue... I haven't tested the battery, but the lights don't flicker or anything and the starter whirls, but isn't engaging. I will check the voltage today to see if it's O.K..

This is what I was thinking... I have a '65 mustang that the starter needs a tappingwith a hammer sometimes to get going and this kind of reminds me of that issue... I haven't tested the battery, but the lights don't flicker or anything and the starter whirls, but isn't engaging. I will check the voltage today to see if it's O.K..

Put the bike in neutral, jump across the solenoid with the ignition on, What response do you get?

Put the bike in neutral, jump across the solenoid with the ignition on, What response do you get?

As in bridge it with a piece of wire?

Do I have to take anything apart to get to it or can I reach it from the outside of the bike? I have the service manual, but figured I would just ask...

Back