free website stats program 08 Heritage rear Shock adjustment | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Heritage rear Shock adjustment

Last tire change was at Kalispel HD, and I asked them to stiffen mine up. They worked on it for about two hours and could not get it loose. I remember them saying that the cans just spin and the adjuster plater doesn't move, so the shocks must have been broen by someone in the past. (WRONG) They told me that my bike was too corroded or something and that I should just replace the shocks and go with air-ride. (WRONG) I also noticed during this winter bike build that there were no balancing weights on the back wheel, so they probably didn't do that either, because it took an ounce to balance the new tire.

So, I bought the $10 spanner wrench, read this thread, and went to work. Using a 9/16 to hold the rod and a jam-nut wrench that I had in my old tools pile, I got the jam nut loose no problem. I like hard ride so I adjusted the nut all the way out. Then with the spanner I spun the plate all the way out to the jam nut. (About 3/4" change from before). Just tightened the jam nut by feel. Not like it's going to fall off, and I can look at them everytime I drain tranny and primary.

Regarding a previous post about confussion on which way is hard or soft, it is a little confusing until to step back and look at the swing arm and shock set-up. It seems backwards because the shocks mount below the pivot. When the swing arm is pushed upward it is pulling on the shocks not pushing them. Moving the jam-nut and adjust plate toward the front of the bike is compressing the springs inside and adding to the pre-load.

===============================================

By the way, the tire they sold me was underrated. We were two-up and loaded to the gills on a 71H. The new tire is 77H. Lesson learned in all of this - Educate yourself and do it yourself! Big THANKS to HDT! You guys rock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back