free website stats program 08 Heritage rear Shock adjustment | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Heritage rear Shock adjustment

More threads showing makes it softer, less threads is stiffer
WAP.gif

I played with my adjustment on the rear shocks and each one made quite a bit of difference in ride and handling. I do remember that the adjustment is backwards from what it would seem correct. Be sure to have the same amount of threads showing on both sides. I believe that one turn on the can equals one thread. As stated above it is worth the effort.

So, is it the more threads showing = the stiffer the ride?

Like TripleJ said. More threads softer less threads stiffer. Seems all wrong but that is the way it works. I change mine if I will be riding 2 up (rare) or with a lot of luggage (rare). One turn on the cans makes a lot of difference. I used some fingernail polish (from the rare 2 up rider) to mark the can so I can tell exactly how many turns I am working with.

I got it, but here is the funny thing...I think it was already adjusted to the loosest setting, or if not it was close as I could not get but maybe a quarter turn, so I thought, as it seems stiff at the current adjustment, that I must of been backwards so adjusted 2 turns to the front (2 less threads). So tomorrow after work I will crawl under her again and reset it back...lol We are in the heavy rain season here (Forks WA) so not going to take her out for a few days...weeks...months, I actually may just keep it where its at for a few rides so that when I loosen her back up I will notice the difference. Last ride was an 83 Goldwing with air adjutable shocks...lol

My manuel doesn't specify, but is ther a torque setting for tightening the jam nuts back? they were on extremely tight and busted a couple knuckles turning them loose.

My manual states 32-39 ft-lbs. but I honestly do not think it would be worth the effort to figure out how to get a torque wrench in there to bother with it.

Tighten the lock nuts as well as you can and then just check them when performing regular services and you should not have any problems with it. Not many bolts I would recommend passing on the manufacturers torque value but I think one can safely get by on these lock nuts as long as they stay tight IMO

How about some weights out there. I have not adjusted mine and I am 6 ft 235 it seems to be fine on my 09 Heritage. How much did you adjust it to get the ride you wanted and how much do you way?

I weigh about 190 lbs. but I ride 2 up as often if not more than solo and our combined weight is probably ( no... I am not gonna ask her :s ) 325 lbs.

After this last adjustment I am almost out of threads showing and the ride is good whether I am solo or 2 up, in other words, not to soft 2 up and not to stiff solo. It has been approximately 1.5 years since my last adjustment and roughly 15k miles and it just started to feel to soft again. Bike now has almost 23K on her.

When I first bought the bike I had the dealer max my shocks out and have never touched them again. I like a stiff ride.:)

Back