free website stats program 07 engine shut down while riding | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

07 engine shut down while riding

I never would have thought that spark plug wires should only last 10000 miles. Granted This IS my first HD,but it's not my first bike. I've had my Shadow 8 years and got 72000 miles on it and have never changed the plug wires, and it still runs like new.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a big deal or a "BAD" thing I'm just saying without you guys on this forum I probably would have never thought of it.

Will changing to non-Harley plug wires create a problem with the spark knock sensing?

I have to reply that it could set a code. I have seen it happen although not very common.

The resistance in the wire is what throws the system into a code. If the resistance is higher than the stock wires, it could set a code. If it's the same or near, you should be OK.

I've also seen some platinum tipped plugs cause a code too after some miles.

I never would have thought that spark plug wires should only last 10000 miles. Granted This IS my first HD,but it's not my first bike. I've had my Shadow 8 years and got 72000 miles on it and have never changed the plug wires, and it still runs like new.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a big deal or a "BAD" thing I'm just saying without you guys on this forum I probably would have never thought of it.
It's the vibration, The wires get hairline cracks in the core that causes the resistance to go through the roof. Just one more problem with suppression wires.

Don't ya just love running the solid core wires and pulling up next to somebody with a nice radio playing in their car and all they hear is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!:D

Gotta love it!

Don't ya just love running the solid core wires and pulling up next to somebody with a nice radio playing in their car and all they hear is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!:D
Between that and setting off car alarms with the ThunderHeader I'll never be bored :D

no codes came up - but if /whenit happens agian I know how to do it... the more I read It could be bad gas,,,

Twice now I have been cruising along and I noticed a sudden loss of power and the motor shut down. The first time this happened
I was going 70 mph across a bridge and pulled the clutch in and I drifted to the side of the road and stopped. I had lights but no engine running. I checked all around the bike and only noticed the red oil lamp was lit. I shut it down for a few minutes and it fired backup.

About 5 rides later, the same thing happened, but it only shut off for about 5 seconds - then the bike fired back up without me touching a thing. I took it to the dealer and no codes are showing but they could not duplicate the problem - but they logged it into my file.

Anybody ever have this problem. ? O7 Police Road King with the 103 motor, stage 1 air cleaner & Screamin' eagle Pipes

Almost scary hearing its happen to some many of ya..it also happen to a friend ..he lost all power..the dealer only blamed his battery but ....they requested his key fob....seems the perimeter alarm forgets the code and shut the computer off...Does your bike have a perimeter alarm....for some reason the dealership is keepin a bit quiet about this problem...they told him only a bad battery...but of course the words seems to be leakin out...The dealership is" Gateway to the West Harley Davidson "..in St. Louis Mo.

Fourdogs

Are you referring to the button less alarm fob on the newer bikes when you say perimeter alarm or is this an after market add on alarm.

If it is the factory unit, even if the battery goes dead while riding, it would only cause a problem should you shut the ignition off and tried to restart, not while riding.

Thanks.

Back