free website stats program 07 engine shut down while riding | Harley Davidson Forums

07 engine shut down while riding

ssk3b

Twice now I have been cruising along and I noticed a sudden loss of power and the motor shut down. The first time this happened
I was going 70 mph across a bridge and pulled the clutch in and I drifted to the side of the road and stopped. I had lights but no engine running. I checked all around the bike and only noticed the red oil lamp was lit. I shut it down for a few minutes and it fired backup.

About 5 rides later, the same thing happened, but it only shut off for about 5 seconds - then the bike fired back up without me touching a thing. I took it to the dealer and no codes are showing but they could not duplicate the problem - but they logged it into my file.

Anybody ever have this problem. ? O7 Police Road King with the 103 motor, stage 1 air cleaner & Screamin' eagle Pipes

Any mods to the bike yet? Do you have a HD Download? Do you have a fuel programmer like a PC III or SERT?

Seems to be a thing with the 07 bikes mostly. The older bikes had a main breaker recall but that doesn't pertain to the 07 bikes.

There have been some that had a faulty ignition relays under the right side cover and that caused it or at least replacing it remedied the problem so far. Others had the dealers replace the ECM and that worked for them. Still others found that the ignition switch when you jiggle it with the bike running would kill the engine making the switch contacts the culprit here.

Check your battery cables and make sure they are tight and clean at both ends.

Another thing comes to mind here with this problem, have you checked to see if you have spark at the plugs when this happens?

When a coil heats up, it's a possibility that the coil is causing the problem as it will fire up after a brief cool down again.

I had the samething happen to my 07 FLHT while riding across a bridge, the engine just shut down like it ran out of gas and I coasted to the side of the road, when I hit the start button it fired right back up and has not done it since

Hi all; New to this site, but a die hard H-D guy.

My '04 Classic died twice in one day during a 5 day ride in September this year. It was a miserable wet day, and both times it just quit making power just like you hit the kill switch. Once was just as I was passing a slow mover; now that was exciting! Both times I had to coast to the shoulder, park and wait a while, then she started right up like nothing happened.

Took it to the dealer, they said it showed a code "Rear Cylinder No Combustion". They figure some moisture got into the rear plug wire connector and killed the spark; so the ECM shut down altogether. They cleared the code and it has not happened since.
Weird?
Rod

My 07 dyna superglide custom had done this twice since I got it in May. Both times on a closed throttle and it simply died out. Very entertaining! It started on the button straight away. the bike has been serviced since and no reoccurrence. I never discussed it with the dealer, unfortunately, as I completely forgot about it. Old age!!

Hi all; New to this site, but a die hard H-D guy.

My '04 Classic died twice in one day during a 5 day ride in September this year. It was a miserable wet day, and both times it just quit making power just like you hit the kill switch. Once was just as I was passing a slow mover; now that was exciting! Both times I had to coast to the shoulder, park and wait a while, then she started right up like nothing happened.

Took it to the dealer, they said it showed a code "Rear Cylinder No Combustion". They figure some moisture got into the rear plug wire connector and killed the spark; so the ECM shut down altogether. They cleared the code and it has not happened since.
Weird?
Rod

The rear cylinder "no combustion" in the bikes in the early 2000 times was linked to the rear injector wiring being strapped to the bike too tightly and too close to the engine. What would happen is the copper inside the insulation would break at or near the plug on the rear injector causing this problem. If it happens again, check this out as a possible cause. It's difficult to find because the insulation is still intact but you can feel the break in the wire if you feel the wire near the injector carefully.

My buddies 05 Deuce quit on him while riding down the road, he said it turned out to be a computer chip? Same with a friends 05 FLHTC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rear cylinder "no combustion" in the bikes in the early 2000 times was linked to the rear injector wiring being strapped to the bike too tightly and too close to the engine. What would happen is the copper inside the insulation would break at or near the plug on the rear injector causing this problem. If it happens again, check this out as a possible cause. It's difficult to find because the insulation is still intact but you can feel the break in the wire if you feel the wire near the injector carefully.

I just put a couple of ounces of stable in my bike the other day....Just in case it talks a little to run out a tank than usual, when I took it out for a ride yesterday the rear cylinder no combustion code kept coming up:eam You think the Stable could have caused that? The bike seemed to running fine to me, no cutting out or lack of power, just the engine light came on.

Back