free website stats program 06 Road King won't start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

06 Road King won't start

After installing my new ECM, the HD service manager said they won't hook up my Power Commander because (a) it is illegal in my state, and (b) it probably caused the ECM to fail. So I thought I'd get another opinion. Here they are all the opinions I got in order:
1. HD service tech said he was 99% sure the P.C. caused the failure.
2. Another HD service tech on another day from the same dealership but off property said "yep, we see P.C.s causing ECM failures all the time".
3. A competing shop that works on HD's has a Dynometer and I found it on the P.C. website said "no way; never heard of any P.C. causing any problems let alone ruining an ECM".
4. The mechanic at the shop where I bought my bike said "you can't just hook your old P.C. back up without remapping it; it won't run".
5. The HD dealer parts manager said "there is now way P.C.s can cause your ECM to fail".
6. The owner of a shop asked :"did the dealer map the new ECM as a stage 1 or not". I looked at my receipt and called the dealer: it wasn't mapped as a stage 1... the ECM was just installed with no mapping.
After two months of getting no where, my bike back firing, popping, and running weak, I took a chance. I reinstalled the P.C. myself just as it had come off the bike (I did not do any mapping).
Guess what? It runs just like it did before the ECM went bad... perfect!
Not sure what all that means other than I'm very happy and I hope by writing this it helps someone else. C'aio

I found it on the P.C. website said "no way; never heard of any P.C. causing any problems let alone ruining an ECM".

The HD dealer parts manager said "there is now way P.C.s can cause your ECM to fail".

I took a chance. I reinstalled the P.C. myself

You took a big chance and it happen to work out in your favor this time. You could have easily blown your brand new ECM.

Trust me on this. Your ECM is a bi-directional device. Anything in series with it to a 19AH battery can destroy it. I have seen transistors blow while trying to protect a fuse. :)

Fact is that there have been many PC's that took out the ECM so believe what the mechanic told you about this.

Back