free website stats program 06 Road King won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

06 Road King won't start

cuu1

Cranks great, won't start. Fresh gas, all lights, horn, etc work fine. All fuses look fine; even replaced the ECM and fuel pump fuses anyway. Problem? The check engine light and "hissing" sound of fuel pressurizing is missing when I turn on Run switch. I ran all diagnostic codes in my 986 page service manual. Responses were: "none", "no reponse", and "part number...", but no problem codes. Now manual says "probe ECM Terminal 13 etc" which is way over my head. Anybody see anything I can do before calling the tow truck and shipping it off to the dealer? :hii

Thanks... I unscrewed it from handlebars and visually inspected the wires running into it and its outside housing. To see the contacts do I pry it open?

Cranks great, won't start. Fresh gas, all lights, horn, etc work fine. All fuses look fine; even replaced the ECM and fuel pump fuses anyway. Problem? The check engine light and "hissing" sound of fuel pressurizing is missing when I turn on Run switch. I ran all diagnostic codes in my 986 page service manual. Responses were: "none", "no reponse", and "part number...", but no problem codes. Now manual says "probe ECM Terminal 13 etc" which is way over my head. Anybody see anything I can do before calling the tow truck and shipping it off to the dealer? :hii

Does your bike have buttonless FOBs? If so, do you have two of them? See what happens with the other FOB. Try changing the batteries in the FOB(s).

TQ

I have one FOB with a pressure area I push in with my thumb. Not sure what a buttonless FOB is. But I will try changing the battery. Thanks.

I have one FOB with a pressure area I push in with my thumb. Not sure what a buttonless FOB is. But I will try changing the battery. Thanks.

No need for that if you can get the FOB to turn the Security system on and off with the pushbutton FOB you have. The newer bikes have buttonless FOBs that work just by being in proximity to the bike.

Try switching the ignition switch on and off repeatedly back and forth. Do the same with the kill switch. Try it.

TQ

I switched the ignition switch on and off repeatedly back and forth but no luck. by the way, what does ECM mean anyway?

Electronic Control Module - Just a guess. Lock in that answer

I know that some modles of the 08' year had a problem with a pin hole leak in the fuel line between the fuel filter and the quick disconnect. In otherwords, you can't see it. (Inside the tank) But you have me puzzeled, because it seems like the fuel pump would run regardless.

I'm thinking that the "probe terminal 13 on the ECM" means terminal #13 on the ECM its self. Under the seat. But question is what are you supposed to have there? 12 volts? Open? I will be staying tuned - learning opportunity

Got it... Electronic Control Module...

Sorry Bull Dog, but all you're gonna learn today is how to get my local shop to come and tow it for me! I'm getting rummy! But I will let you know next week what the professional found (and the price!!). Thanks for your help.

FYI... My local shop found a code I didn't but couldn't decipher it. Brought it to the HD dealer who says my ECM needs replacing and for the low, low price of $550!
But they won't hook up my Power Commander III because it is an aftermarket item. They don't want the responsiblity if it ruins the new ECM.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was the Alarm/Disable lockout, the starter would not turn, and you would see flashing lights. Since you have everything working 'cept primary ignition, no stirring of the fuel pump AND engine starting circuit...the common denominator of the ECM may be correct. Still, I would do a little troubleshooting along the way to be sure...$550 PLUS dealer R&R and programming charge is a pretty "hefty" bill.

Back