free website stats program '06 88 head on '08 96 cylinder | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'06 88 head on '08 96 cylinder

Sorry been busy doing my 103 build so didn't see your question. When you change the crank you also have to change the pistons (stroker pistons). If you don't then the stock pistons will come to far up in the cylinder. Thereby being "proud" of the cylinder top and probably smashing into your valves etc? Sometime that is desireable (High dome pistons) to get more compression but that all has to be allowed for or you will get a loud bang/crunch and she won't be running. There are lots of good places to read up about "stroking" the engine. Its been done for years. In fact in the old days they used to put Indian cranks into harley cases to make a stroker. :D

Sorry been busy doing my 103 build so didn't see your question. When you change the crank you also have to change the pistons (stroker pistons). If you don't then the stock pistons will come to far up in the cylinder. Thereby being "proud" of the cylinder top and probably smashing into your valves etc? Sometime that is desireable (High dome pistons) to get more compression but that all has to be allowed for or you will get a loud bang/crunch and she won't be running. There are lots of good places to read up about "stroking" the engine. Its been done for years. In fact in the old days they used to put Indian cranks into harley cases to make a stroker. :D

well thats better, in your first reply you said the barrels and pistons are the same in the 88 to the 96, which isnt correct, now i can see what you were saying. there is also a new 4 5/8 crank out now for the SE 120ci. years ago i built stroker 2 stroke MX bikes, thats sure did make em fun, 55hp from a ported 250, stroked to 310cc.

Back