free website stats program '06 88 head on '08 96 cylinder | Harley Davidson Forums

'06 88 head on '08 96 cylinder

craig Lee

Question for the guru's: Some friends were wondering if the heads from an '06 88 would fit on the cylinders of an '08 96 with no issues.
Thanks and Happy Easter,
Craig and Mz Bling

The only difference between a 2006 96" and 2006 88 is the crank. The 96 has a 4 3/8" stroke where the 88 has a 4" stroke. The barrels and pistons are the same. When you put the big bore on you end up with the 103? So I would say they should be fine. Anyone else???

The only difference between a 2006 96" and 2006 88 is the crank. The 96 has a 4 3/8" stroke where the 88 has a 4" stroke. The barrels and pistons are the same. When you put the big bore on you end up with the 103? So I would say they should be fine. Anyone else???

Hoping you meant 2008 96" above. The reason for this question is for diamond cutting purposes. My indie co. has new cylinders from '08 96" and new heads from '06 88". Could be diamond cut and have my bike down for only 1 day. Gotta' keep up with Mz Bling! :)

so the 88 has longer rods?? as hobbit said the cc of the combustion chamber should be a different size.

The crank has the rods moved farther to the outside which gives it more stroke. So the distance the piston moves in the bore is 3/8 " farther (higher) on the 96 cu in engine. You use diff pistons for the stroker cranks as well . The diameter of the pistons is the same though. Hope I explained that well. Sorry for confusion.

The crank has the rods moved farther to the outside which gives it more stroke. So the distance the piston moves in the bore is 3/8 " farther (higher) on the 96 cu in engine. You use diff pistons for the stroker cranks as well . The diameter of the pistons is the same though. Hope I explained that well. Sorry for confusion.

i understand all the stroke stuff, the piston will actually move half the change in stroke higher and half the change lower, but how can you have a different stroke engine with barrels and pistons the same, if the barrels and pistons are the same the rods must be longer to reach deck height. if not the piston will be 3/16 below the deck height, thats what i was asking about in the response i quoted

Moving the rods further from the crank (off centerline) is effectively making them longer from center line to piston, thus increasing stroke. But how much head clearance was there to allow that much extra stroke?

thats what im saying, how can they have the same barrels and pistons, and a different stroke, the deck height will be too low on the 88. something other than just the stroke is different

Strange things happen in the world of H D . The XR1000 ran 2 front heads from the factory. The carbs hung out right side of the bike, while the exhaust ran out the left side. Strange set up but made gobs of power in its day, never caught on with the street crowd but on the track it ate them all up.

Back