free website stats program 03 Heritage Springer EFI stalls on deceleration | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Heritage Springer EFI stalls on deceleration

One more idea to consider. It is not likely, but is a possibility, if you run out of other things to check...

Sometimes, due to how the injector wires are bundled, the vibration will break the internal conductor inside of the insulation. When cold, the insulation stiffens and holds the two ends of the broken wire together. Once the engine warms up, the insulation softens, allowing the wire connections to become intermittent, depending on vibration and engine forward and back lean (accel or decel). This can cause what you describe, or a variety of other symptoms, like intermittent codes being thrown, or rough idle, or stalling, or sputtering on accel of decel. A wiggle test will help with diagnosing this one. I have found it hard to do a good wiggle test while the engine is hot and running. A better and more definitive way is to do a resistance test, with a meter, while doing a wiggle test.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
I don't see it suggested much but I had sputtering issues and it ended up being the gas tank liner was peeling and clogging the fuel filter in the tank. Also found a pin hole in fuel line inside the tank. Removed tank, plugged holes and poured acetone in tank and covered top opening for a couple days and fumes peeled liner completely. Changed fuel pump, filter not a problem since.

Back