free website stats program 02 ultra dies after about 5 miles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

02 ultra dies after about 5 miles

This is the 2nd breaker I have put in the original still test good,I was at work when it acted up we had a 40 amp i installed it did the same thing so i went to harley and got a 50 amp still does it.I have a max fuse link I can wire in inplace of the braker i might try it and see what happens.

I have put in the original still test good,I was at work when it acted up we had a 40 amp i installed it did the same thing so i went to harley and got a 50 amp still does it..

It takes special equipment to test those things. It can not be done with a simple ohms test.

I know what your your up against but you really need to measure the current load in that line before you up the capacity of the fuse. The entire charging system is being exceeded with a 50 amp fuse.
I would try an EQUAL rated fuse but would not go higher.

Have you performed Gliders bulb trick?

I havent found a max fuse holder rated at 50 amp yet mine is only 30 amp.I did try some heat wrap from my race car packed it around the pipe and the frame area,the wires was cooler but it still died on me and with in a minute fired up and came home.it is odd that if heat was a issue it should trigger the breaker at a idle just sitting on my lift table?

Have you performed Gliders bulb trick?

The bulb trick should have been your next step. I am just trying to help but you can keep changing circuit breakers until the factory runs out of them and you may not find your problem. Your problem may not even be the circuit breaker. That was the reason for the bulb trick test.

If the bike quits and the bulb is still lit,,,Bingo. You know it is Not the breaker. One clever test and you know everything up to that point is Good. If the Bulb goes out the same time the bike quits, then change the CB for an Equal rated Maxi fuse. If the Maxi fuse also blows, you WILL need a factory schematic to troubleshoot (not shot-gun) the reason why the fuse blew. Upload the schematic of your bike and we will walk you through your problem.

I'm going to come in from Left field a bit here, what made you think this problem was electrical, could just as easily be fueling obstruction, fuel petcock diaphram vacuum leak or a host of other maladies...! Did you check alternative like this before going down the primary electrical circuitry path?

Ok here is a update,I used a stereo amplifier fuse holder it is rated up to 60 amp,put a 50 amp glass fuse in it.Ran the wires from under the side cover to the wires going to the breaker and wired it all up i figured the side cover would protect the fuse holder.I rode it 15 miles and so far so good usually it would die 3 times in that distance.But I have the engine light coming back on for a few seconds after it starts then it goes away?I hope the fuse took care of the dieing problem and the frame there was getting hot from the exhaust so I think your all right about the heat and the breaker.

Thanks for the suggestions

I have an 02fl and Harley had a recall on the main 50 amp ckt breaker. They replaced mine for free and I've had no trouble since. Just a thought.

Yeah I tried 2 breakers from Harley didnt make a difference,so far relocating the wires going to the breaker and installing a fuse as worked.I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Back