free website stats program 02 ultra dies after about 5 miles | Harley Davidson Forums

02 ultra dies after about 5 miles

Roadsofa

I have a 2002 Ultra here is the story from the beginning,Once in awhile the bike would stumble loose all electrical power just like turning the ignition off then back on.It did this a couple times but no code.Its now doing it after about 5 miles of riding but you can let it idle for ever and it wont shut off only when riding it smooth or bumpy roads dont matter.I couldnt find anything wrong and the dealer couldnt either.Then one day I was unlocking the forks and the ignition was in the off postion and all my lights was on so I figured bad ignition switch so I replaced it that didnt help,I replaced the breaker since it shuts off and with in 1 minute or 2 comes back on thought it was maybe getting hot.that didnt help the fuses are all good I cant find any bad wires cleaned connections Harley said charging and electric system checked out ok?? I'm stumped since it looses all power then comes back on and it dont matter on road conditions and it will sit and idle all day.Any help will be appreciated.Battery is 2 yrs old but harley said it checked out good.

I replaced the breaker since it shuts off and with in 1 minute or 2 comes back on thought it was maybe getting hot.that didnt help .

Where exactly is this breaker in relationship to the overall schematic of the bike. (Where does the IN wire come from & where does the OUT wire go to)

Some breakers are located in a bad position and pick up heat from exhaust. They will trip prematurely and make you think you have a problem elsewhere.

The breaker is under the seat,sits in a little holder that is mounted to the frame.The old breaker had been in there a longtime the nuts had a little rust on them,thats why I replaced it.I didnt have any problems with the bike till about august of last year thats when it first acted up but then it wouldnt do it again I was even going on 400 mile rides with no problems now I cant go 5 miles.Nothing has been added and bike is stock original.I'll retrace the wires again and see where they went coming off the breaker

I still suspect that it could be the breaker opening. What you could do is to temporarily wire in a tiny bulb on the "OUT" side of the breaker and when it cuts out again, if the light is still lit, then you know that isn't the problem and go from there.

I still suspect that it could be the breaker opening. What you could do is to temporarily wire in a tiny bulb on the "OUT" side of the breaker and when it cuts out again, if the light is still lit, then you know that isn't the problem and go from there.

Great trick to "smoke out" the problem. Roadsofa, this will tell you what you want to know without fumblingly with meters.

will try it here in a couple days,I'm about 90% sure the breaker is tripping but finding what is tripping the breaker is the tough one.I got some small lights to wire up will see what happens and keep ya posted Thanks for the ideas.

It does not have to be an excessive load. It could be a bad breaker itself. I have seen it so many times,, you pump 25 amps through a 40 amp breaker and it pops open. Voltage drop galore through those things. They should use them for land fill.

With today's Maxi fuses, there is no better choice.

Don't forget also that the heat from the surrounding pipes and engine will also trip the breaker earlier than the rated size.

Don't forget also that the heat from the surrounding pipes and engine will also trip the breaker earlier than the rated size.

Yes, that is a Great point.

I mean when you think about it, why would anyone WANT a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. If a have a short, who would want this CB clicking open & close until the end of time. If a fuse blows, it's done. You have a problem, period. Go and fix it.

If they were in my 2009, they would be gone and out of there,, Just from the voltage drop alone.

Back