free website stats program '02 Road King started backfiring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'02 Road King started backfiring

take off the gas cap and turn it on using a flash light see if you can see the gas swirling or spraying in the tank ..

Turned out to be the pressure regulator. The mechanic assumed it was the internal fuel line pin hole problem which plagued early '02 models but apparently mine was produced late in the production line and already had the upgraded lines. Hoourah!

Turned out to be the pressure regulator. The mechanic assumed it was the internal fuel line pin hole problem which plagued early '02 models but apparently mine was produced late in the production line and already had the upgraded lines. Hoourah!

Still happens on even later model bikes

Hey Bud, how you like that '08 RK. I'm selling my '02 this weekend due to (edit) economy but when my ship comes back in I'll be lookin for a 6 speed like yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a follow up, the day after pressure regulator was replaced the bike started backfiring again. Took it back to my wrench and he pulled a "missing password" code which he had never seen before. He cleared the code and the bike has run great since putting 150 miles on it. One thing I do now is when I turn the ignition on; to let the engine light turn off before I engage the kill switch and again let the engine light turn off before I hit the starter switch. I read somewhere on this site that this slow and deliberate sequence lets the computer do its diagnostics and helps prevent "rogue codes" from happening.

Back