free website stats program 02 Heritage Wont start | Harley Davidson Forums

02 Heritage Wont start

Barnz316

Hello,

First time poster, LONG time reader.

First off, I want to say thanks to everybody that reads/posts on this website. It has been VERY helpful to me up to this point.

Now to bring you up to date, I bought a 2002 Heritage Soft tail FLSTCI, 2 years ago, with heavy front end damage. I COMPLETELY went through the entire bike, front to back(minus motor and tranny) replacing what needed to be ( frame, front forks, front rim and tire, triple tree, tins, etc...). After 2 years of saving and buying parts when I could I finally got this thing together. I put the last component on Saturday and fueled it up. I cycled the key a couple of times to make sure the injectors was pressurized and then hit the start button. Well, to try and shorten the story a bit, it didn't start. It cranks but no fire. I then started investigating, ruling out what I could. I've got good spark, and the fuel pump is pumping although I don't know at what pressure. It cant be to bad because I unhooked the quick disconnect at the bottom of the tank and released some good pressure off of the fuel injectors. I took the dash off and opened up the fuel tank and noticed that the fuel pressure regulator is releasing some fuel back into the tank. Not sure if this is normal or not? It does have a alarm/security system on it and I'm not sure if it isn't the problem. I am not getting any flashing turn signals or anything that would make me think the computer is throwing a code. Could it be the injectors are bad from sitting so long? I'm not sure where to look next. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Did you pull the plugs and check for fire there? Were the plugs wet with fuel? Stupid as it seems but, the emergency kill switch on the right handlebar was in the ON position? We need as much information as you can provide.

Bodeen

Yes, the plugs are firing and arent wet and the kill switch on the bar is in the on position.

I guess I should mention that I am very mechanically inclined and could probably figure it out if it was a older, carbed bike. But I know very little about how to diagnose a fuel injected problem, especially with a security system, without having the proper scanners. I also went back over all of the electrical connections and couldnt find any bad ones or one I forgot to connect.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you it is not the alarm. The plugs should have been wet. Maybe inject a shot of fuel in each spark plug hole just to Confirm the engine will briefly start.

Sounds like a fuel issue. That regulator releasing fuel does not sound right.
I would bet the injectors are electrically firing but there is not enough pressure to crack them.

I should also mention that it will run on a shot of starting fluid which is why im thinking injectors or something in the security system not letting the injectors fire. Is there a way to tell if the injectors are firing or not?

You really need to know what the fuel pump pressure is but you need a special adapter to check it.

I just can not believe both injectors are bad. I also can't believe the ECM is not firing both injectors. The alarm would also inhibit spark/cranking. That is not your problem.

$10 to WIN that the problem is something inside your tank.

$10 to WIN that the problem is something inside your tank.

I'm betting With you. Service manual spec. is 58 psi for fuel. Bubbles in the tank don't sound good, and running briefly when fuel is introduced point to supply problem.

Now to bring you up to date, I bought a 2002 Heritage Soft tail FLSTCI, 2 years ago, with heavy front end damage. I COMPLETELY went through the entire bike, front to back(minus motor and tranny) replacing what needed to be ( frame, front forks, front rim and tire, triple tree, tins, etc...). After 2 years of saving and buying parts when I could I finally got this thing together. I put the last component on Saturday and fueled it up. I cycled the key a couple of times to make sure the injectors was pressurized and then hit the start button. Well, to try and shorten the story a bit, it didn't start. It cranks but no fire. I then started investigating, ruling out what I could. I've got good spark, and the fuel pump is pumping although I don't know at what pressure. It cant be to bad because I unhooked the quick disconnect at the bottom of the tank and released some good pressure off of the fuel injectors. I took the dash off and opened up the fuel tank and noticed that the fuel pressure regulator is releasing some fuel back into the tank. Not sure if this is normal or not? It does have a alarm/security system on it and I'm not sure if it isn't the problem. I am not getting any flashing turn signals or anything that would make me think the computer is throwing a code. Could it be the injectors are bad from sitting so long? I'm not sure where to look next. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Check this out:

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Is the gas 2 years old? Did you try switching the injector plugs front to rear.

maine-e-axe - It has fresh gas in it and no I haven't tried switching the injector plugs. Would that make a difference?

TQuentin1 - Yes, I have read that article but in my case, I can't get my bike to fire at all.

Im going to mess around with it some more today, I will update this evening.

Thanks All

Back