free website stats program 01 FXDXT High Speed Cornering Wobbles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

01 FXDXT High Speed Cornering Wobbles

had all the wheels balanced (stock cast wheels) still have vibration on handle bar @50mph.

I really question your "balance". The word "Balance" is Very broad.
My question is How were they balanced. If I was fighting a problem like yours, I would find a local gas station that has an old Hunter wheel spinner. Just jack the bike a few inches off the ground and engage the spinner. You very well may be surprised how "balanced" your tire/wheel really is.
Most of these motorcycle shops use static bubble balance machines. They are hit & miss at best.

Track down a local Hunter or Bear spinner. Back before computers, that was state of the art. Those spinners were sold by the thousands. By itself it wont be able to balance your tire, but it will tell you under dynamic conditions how balanced your front wheel is.
Trust me on this.

How do the motor mounts look? If it happens in a hard lean, could the engine be shifting? My other thought would be wheel bearings.

I really question your "balance". The word "Balance" is Very broad.
My question is How were they balanced. If I was fighting a problem like yours, I would find a local gas station that has an old Hunter wheel spinner. Just jack the bike a few inches off the ground and engage the spinner. You very well may be surprised how "balanced" your tire/wheel really is.
Most of these motorcycle shops use static bubble balance machines. They are hit & miss at best.

Track down a local Hunter or Bear spinner. Back before computers, that was state of the art. Those spinners were sold by the thousands. By itself it wont be able to balance your tire, but it will tell you under dynamic conditions how balanced your front wheel is.
Trust me on this.
thx for the info.
i dont know what spinner the dealer has here. but by the look of it, i guess it's the same as most spinners used for car wheels..
but anyways.. when i had my nightrain, never had vibration on the bar (spoke fr wheel), so is it really the fxdx character to vibrate at 50..or higher speed?:bigsmiley17:

No , Not "normal" . If it comes in at 50mph it's most likely wheel balance. Re-read Hooples response and have the dynamic balance checked. Good Luck

I have an 03 wideglide. I am riding spoked wheels. When I first got it I had a noticable wobble between the front and rear wheels when cornering a little fast. I switched from the stock Dunlop tires to Metzler tires. This included the metzler upgrade reccomendations. I have had no problems since the switch and it now corners true and bad (EDITED). Handles and rides way better also. Been riding since I was 4 and I would have never believed this would have done the trick.

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back