free website stats program 01 FXDXT High Speed Cornering Wobbles | Harley Davidson Forums

01 FXDXT High Speed Cornering Wobbles

billnapabill

I have a friend who just bought a used 01 FXDXT with about 9,000 miles on it. He has installed fork braces, rebuilt the front forks and installed a Sputhe Motor Stablizer Kit.
The bike is still ungainly in high speed, hard lean cornering conditions.
My question is this, is anyone else having problems such as this? Is there anything that can be done to correct the wobbling effect? He is preparing to install a new front tire but everything else he has done has had little effect on the problem.

I have a friend who just bought a used 01 FXDXT with about 9,000 miles on it. He has installed fork braces, rebuilt the front forks and installed a Sputhe Motor Stablizer Kit.
The bike is still ungainly in high speed, hard lean cornering conditions.
My question is this, is anyone else having problems such as this? Is there anything that can be done to correct the wobbling effect? He is preparing to install a new front tire but everything else he has done has had little effect on the problem.

The SPUTHE ENGINEERING POSITRAC STABILIZER kit has a stabilizer mechanism for the front of the engine, and the back of the tranny. That is what your buddy mounted? Both the front and rear?

After doing this, it is important to make sure the bike is aligned and at the rear wheel is right behind the front and pointed in the same direction. Check the self-help section.

Finally, double check with your Buddy that he has ensured the top link between the heads is OK too.

If all that checks out, then see what happens with a new tire. What else could it be?!!

TQ

Last edited:
Yes both front and rear and I know he has been in touch with Sputhe and they are working with him to try to figure out what's going on but so far nothing he's done has helped much. Joey is the Auto Shop Mechanic for a major oil refinery in the area and has been working with his Dad since he could walk on Race Cars and bikes, his mechanical skill level is very high. He has been riding a late model Sportster 883 that has had major engine and frame mods...to the point that it looks more like a Buell on steroids than a Sportster, he wears the sidewalls off the tires before the road tread wears out. He's gonna try a new tire and if that don't work he's considering a steering dampner. Is there anything else out there he should or could try?

You might suggest he replace the isolators on the swingarm pivot shaft, and install a new engine mount on the front. He might even want to consider a different bushing system for the swingarm. I used the solid one from True-track, but your buddy would have to call and see if they have for Dynas. See here:

True-Track Products

TQ

Has he checked the head bearings? To tight or to loose or bearing races that are worn or dimpled will cause steering problems.

i had the same problem be4 new front tyre. still have after (all same thread tyres) but far less wobbly, i've had all the wheels balanced (stock cast wheels) still have vibration on handle bar @50mph. checked the steer bearings too. so i just guess that it's just fxdx's character. but yeah i dunno
:25:

I'm no expert on this model, but I do not think this is the norm for the Dyna model. I ride with a couple of friends with Dynas and they don't seem to have this type of issue. If you have a shop in your area that can check out the frame this would be my next step in determining if something needs to be done. Also a call to the MOCO might give you some idea of other items to check. Keep us posted on your progress.

Back