free website stats program Your views on choppers | Harley Davidson Forums

Your views on choppers

STARY

Account Removed
I'm thinking of building a chopper with a couple of guys I know,there both mechanical engineers and i'm ok with the spanners,1340 old style chop.Have you guys done this,or are we in for a royal pain in the backside

If you hang tough for a bit, one of our members named "Chopper" will be along with plenty of hands-on experience doing just that!!

TQ

Are you kidding:panic if you build a chopper you'll have more fun and feed more creative juices to your brain with high octane than you ever thought possable. Riding a chopper is like running down the street in a pair of good tennie's verses a pair of dress shoes. When you want a windshield, cigerete lighter or trunk you can take your car. Once your ride a chopper, you'll never go back. When you build a chopper you're not just building a motorcycle, you're creating a engineering challenge and a work of art that no one else has ever created before. If you do it, have fun cause that's what a chopper is all about.
:rider

I would like to do something like that, but I ain't no welder. I would have to purchase already manufactured items to do one. And most of all :newsmile093:.

I would like to do something like that, but I ain't no welder. I would have to purchase already manufactured items to do one. And most of all :newsmile093:.
tlyoungb I'm sure you could weld a few tabs on a frame, there's so much out there now a days, it's not like the old days when you had to fabricate every little piece yourself all though after you get started you would be surprised what you would come up with. I had the honor to work with Berry Wardlaw back in the early 90's, he taught me everything on the motorcycle comes from the earth, there's nothing you can't fabricate. Those were words of wisdom. You build the chopper with your minds eye, then make it work. You see a lot of bikes people call choppers, if they have shocks they are custom motorcycles not choppers, if you don't need the part to make the bike run it's not on a chopper. Built the whole bike first before you do any molding or paint, then when you got it where you want it, tear it all back apart and do all the cosmetics, because things change along the way while you're building or you just had more fun then you should have in the 60's and forgot something, like me.

Although i have never built any choppers i have done a few bike restorations/builds from incomplete boxes of bits ive found that the more effort i put into a project the greater the sence of elation and pride you get at the end so its well worth doing but when it starts to get difficult you just have to keep going at it till its done
the first time you ride it will make all the effort worth while

Brian

I've been throwing the idea around about getting one of those 'build-a-bike' chopper kits. Can make it myself without having to fabricate it myself. It looks like it would be alot of fun and I could get my son to help out.

And opinions on those?

I'm nowhere near talented enough to do it from scratch ... by Skratch. :p

I've been throwing the idea around about getting one of those 'build-a-bike' chopper kits. Can make it myself without having to fabricate it myself. It looks like it would be alot of fun and I could get my son to help out.

And opinions on those?

I'm nowhere near talented enough to do it from scratch ... by Skratch. :p
Sounds like a great father son project that the son would enjoy as much as the father, maybe more.

The great thing about building a Chopper is you get to customize as you go and look at the sense of accomplishment when your done

Back