free website stats program Yet another thread about... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Yet another thread about...

I knew a guy once that bought a new FXR and hoisted it up in his living room as a conversation piece.

I know a ride that trade every year. He does not ride much under 10K a year and the way it works out he does 1 oil change never replace a tire or part rides a new bike every year and when you add it all up the cost is low for his system.

He must keep it stock and not spend a dime customizing or modifying it to make it his own. That's the only way I can see this strategy working at all.

Not sure that would keep cost down. Each time he trades I highly doubt he is breaking even with the dealer. Also, he would have to pay taxes on a NEW bike plus insurance is ALWAYS more expensive for a NEW vehicle - unless he is trading down and eventually that would occur a loss as well.

I say if you got, ride it. :D

Not sure that would keep cost down. Each time he trades I highly doubt he is breaking even with the dealer. Also, he would have to pay taxes on a NEW bike plus insurance is ALWAYS more expensive for a NEW vehicle - unless he is trading down and eventually that would occur a loss as well.

I say if you got, ride it. :D

I guess if you don't mind making payments for the rest of your life, the breaking even part doesn't matter. You just have to resign yourself to the fact that you will NEVER have a paid off bike.

When you trade in your bike, you only pay tax on the difference in price between the trade in and the new bike. Dealers love to remind you of this when you say you'll just sell your bike on your own.

I tentatively plan to trade the bike I just got (2 weeks ago) within the next two years. Although, when I trade it in I hope to have approximately 20k on the OD. It just really depends on what changes, if any, they have brought to the design of the new rides.

I think the reason bikes sit is, a group of friends or the individual decides to try motorcycling as something new. After purchasing bike, it could any number of reasons that they decide it just is not for them. Some end up being motorcyclists and some just can not. So the bike sits......:newsmile08:

I think the reason bikes sit is, a group of friends or the individual decides to try motorcycling as something new. After purchasing bike, it could any number of reasons that they decide it just is not for them. Some end up being motorcyclists and some just can not. So the bike sits......:newsmile08:

The silver lining about that scenario is that often WE can purchase those bikes with VERY low mileage at a decent price!! :newsmile093:

After purchasing bike, it could any number of reasons that they decide it just is not for them.

For me it was the opposite. I purchased a bike thinking I would ride it a few times a year. I now use the bike every chance I get and the cage gets ignored. Only time I use the cage is when I have to carry something big with me like a propane tank refill! :)

Back