free website stats program yet another heel/toe shifter question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

yet another heel/toe shifter question

Always been utterly amazing to me how there seem to be two distinct schools on this subject - those who adjusted to the heel shifter after a day or two, and those who never adjusted and actually take it off. Doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground either. I guess it's just one more area that the aftermarket folks love taking our money for the dozens of ways to deal with a problem.

Dr. is it the aftermarket taking our money or just another way to customize or bikes to make them fit our style?:a

I had the same problem with my boots not fitting between the two shifter levers so I raised the front shifter so my toe fits under the lever and I lowered the rear shifter so my heel backs right up to it. I got use to stomping on the rear to up shift and stomp on the toe to downshift. It became second nature very quick and I really like it now.

I had the same problem with my boots not fitting between the two shifter levers so I raised the front shifter so my toe fits under the lever and I lowered the rear shifter so my heel backs right up to it. I got use to stomping on the rear to up shift and stomp on the toe to downshift. It became second nature very quick and I really like it now.

I'm the same way. When I first got a bike with heel/toe shifter, it seemed very unnatural and I shifted only with the toe. If I hadn't been more focused on riding than wrenching, the heel shifter would have come off. Now, I love the heel shifter and find riding without one to be a bit awkward. Part of the initial problem was the heel shifter felt in the way and didn't give my foot room to move around. After getting the fold-back shift arm, all is good.

I have a 2008 Road King with a similar setup to HDDon...I have the 2" extended rear shift lever and 7/8" extenders on the footboards. I like this setup and the extra leverage of the 2" extended shifter makes the tranny "feel" like it's shifting smoother.

I'm also going to try HDDon's tip on turning the front shifter 180* and reversing the peg.

I only wear a size 10 1/2 boot but find the extra footboard room comfortable, allowing for several different foot positions on the footboard.

I have both a Dyna and an Ultra. Switching back and forth really messed me up with the Heel & Toe shifter. Took off the rear arm and never had a problem again. :D

I'm a size 11, never noticed any crowding either. Though I never use the heel/toe method anyway, so I ought to just remove it. Don't know why I can't seem to "get it"....guess it was the hundreds of thousands of miles over the years without one....can't teach an old dog new tricks, I guess!

+1 heel never gets used.

I like the heel toe shifter on my 07 Ultra. I am 6'3" and wear a size 13 boot. Harley riding position was designed for hobbits(no offense to hobbits). I put 1" outboard spacers and Wild Bill's footboard brackets that move them forward 1". And have pegs on the engine guard. Heel toe for me. Smooth shifting. Jam them gears.:TEXAS

When I moved up from a Sportster to my King I could never get used to the heel shifter. I was constantly pushing down with my heel to downshift.

After about a month something finally clicked and now I never upshift with my toe. It does not make sense because it takes more effort to raise your entire foot instead of just your toe. You can’t explain the brain.

Here is what I have and it works great.

Harley-Davidson USA | Accessories And Apparel | Genuine Motor Accessories

33876_07_M_233cd.jpg

This is $69.+ from Harley, available from Zanottis for $53.72. Part # 33876-07.

BikeSAG,
Good idea! I never use my heel shifter either. Never had a bike whith one.
I think I might follow your lead on this one.
Bob

Back