free website stats program Yes, You Can Safely Ride in the Rain! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Yes, You Can Safely Ride in the Rain!

Well of course when you are riding you are bound to be caught in the rain at one point or another, I dont know who hasn't and I love riding my bike especially on rainy days, just use common sense.

Thanks for sharing these great tips. I don't like riding in the rain either but I still do it sometimes, I mean it's just absolutely unavoidable at times. With that said, I'll definitely be keeping your tips in mind the next time I'm riding in the rain. Thanks again!

I was following a semi about a year ago and the ring that is on the rear trailer tire came flying off. Shortly after I saw the wheel/tire starting to come off. After that it free wheeled up the road and hit the median wall and bounced over it and hit an oncoming box truck traveling in the opposite direction with a thud and shutter. I wouldn't want to see that coming at me. Total combined speed I would say the wheel traveling north at about 40 MPH when it finally got over the median and the truck going south at about 65 in the fast lane....well that's too fast to get hit by something that big and heavy. never got to see the damage to the truck but I'm sure there was more to it by the time it was over.

Hello,
I think the biggest thing to safe riding in the rain is good tread on your rear tire, i live in the Cleveland area, we are used to weather changes, if you have good tires, just slow down , if its raining real hard give yourself more room, if it cold 38-48 f you better have gear on to keep you warm and dry, and your rain suit will be worth (edited), if your hands get wet and cold. For me when it start to get like that, i look for a place to hold up., If it get much colder things realy get bad.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of those hard core riders. I ride everyday to work. Rain or shine. I don't like cars, and they don't like me. So I opted to the motorcycle instead. I don't go anywhere with out it. When I ride in the rain, my rain radar goes into effect. I start looking all around me to see what is where. My biggest fear is not the rain, it is these cagers on the frickin cell phones. I fear them more.:bigsmiley4::bigsmiley4:

Thanks for the wise advice.
Here in the UK we get more than our fair share of rain.
I think it's also safe to take care to avoid road markings manhole covers and anything similar that becomes more slippery than usual when wet.

I ride rain or shine and have a good rain suit, googles that work well to keep the rain out of my eyes. Then it's just using common sense and not being in a hurry for anything.

Another quick tip... and not JUST when it is raining, but anytime after a RECENT hard rain.

I am always EXTRA careful and vigilant for about a day after a hard rain... mostly because of developments and construction which seem to be constant in my area. After a hard rain, all sorts of stuff gets washed out into the roads.... and especially on the curves and corners! You've seen it, the pea sized gravel and little stones that the rain moves around, forcing it down the sides of the road, to aggregate RIGHT where you want to lean into a curve, or RIGHT where you apply the brakes the hardest to complete your stop for a redlight or a stop sign.

Also, end of summer and through the fall.... you need to add WET LEAVES to this equation. NOTHING can stop on wet leaves... until you grind them up by sliding a few feet on them!

1st off, one must have good quality rain gear. we dress this way...lower, rain gear 1st, chaps outer wear. upper, leather coat 1st, rain gear outer wear. if you have one, you must be able to see over the wind shield. throttle back to 40-50mph. one can ride a long way this way. just need to find a laundermat @ times

Back