free website stats program Xlh883 rear turn signals | Harley Davidson Forums

Xlh883 rear turn signals

Jimdogg

my son recently purchased an xlh883 and wanted to change rear turns. The bike has one wire the new lights are 3 wire tried several ways to wire but signals will not flash they only brighten unless I hold both turn switches in at the same time then they will blink like emergency flasher. The new lights are filament not led could I still need a load compensator or are the lights just not compatible with the old wiring

I suspect that bike is 93 or earlier and the turn signals you got are 94 or later front turn signals with a twin filament bulb the three wires are 1 for the 5 watt filament 1 for the 12 watt filament and 1 for a combined ground
The original turn signals had 2volt power to a single filament 21watt bulb and ground was through the body of the turn signal to the frame
Connect the 21 watt wire to the original wire and the ground to the frame and it should work if you are also trying to use them as running lights splice the 5 watt power to the feed wire for the tail light

Brian

Thanks Brian
I tried wiring them like that with same result I'll try again maybe I didn't have a good enough ground as I was doing it with jumper wires

You will need a good ground there are a few big bolts that hold the rear fender on to the support rails loosen one of the nuts on the inside of the fender bare the end of the wire or crimp a large loop on the end of it and secure under the nut
When testing this sort of thing I use an old battery just to test what each wire is and to find which is the ground etc

Brian

Back