free website stats program XL 883 low speed lag or miss | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

XL 883 low speed lag or miss

Meaning... I only get this miss every once in awhile and "only" when starting out.

When you mean “starting out” do you mean when the engine is cold? My 2003 883 really loves its choke until the engine is warmed up, if I get stingy it will pop back. I give the bike full choke when starting and let the carb pull it in on its own. It has never missed when warmed up.

On a related note…in our hot Texas summer the choke pulls in way too quickly, typically as soon as I take off, and I will get a pop. I have to re-pull the choke one or two times until it’s warmed up. I never had to do that in colder weather. Any easy method to slow the choke pull-in?

hey delmar... nope... this sputter or lag occurrs only when the engine is fully heated up to operating temp. I keep the choke pulled out for about 1/2 mile then push it all the way in after a mile.

starting out = when i am pulling out from a stop (at an intersection for instance).

btw... ok... I am not losing my mind. I thought I noticed the choke pull itself in after about 1/4~1/2 mile... from all the way out to midway. So this is by design?

welp... she appears to be fixed. I really appreciate this site and the people on it. Very helpful to say the least.

I turned the idel screw all the way in and backed it out 2 turns as BMAngel recommended... still had the miss... backed it out another half turn and that seems to have done the job.

Chances are my bike was jetted given the brass plug was already removed soooo... yep 2.5 fixed the miss. I also added some STP carb cleaner as glider recommended... when I had the airbox off the other day there was some mild carbon residue within the venturi intake.

It even seems to be running a bit more solid but thats prob in my head.

thanks again!

welp... she appears to be fixed. I really appreciate this site and the people on it. Very helpful to say the least.

I turned the idel screw all the way in and backed it out 2 turns as BMAngel recommended... still had the miss... backed it out another half turn and that seems to have done the job.

Chances are my bike was jetted given the brass plug was already removed soooo... yep 2.5 fixed the miss. I also added some STP carb cleaner as glider recommended... when I had the airbox off the other day there was some mild carbon residue within the venturi intake.

It even seems to be running a bit more solid but thats prob in my head.

thanks again!
With the V&H pipes 2 1/2 turns makes sense. My bike still has stock pipes with only a OEM replacement style K&N air-filter. I'm hopeing for a set of Rinehart Cross-back 2-into-2 Exhaust for Christmas!! Then I'll have to open the carb up and rejet.
Glad you were able to get it dialed in!!
Good riding, Sportsters rule!!

ehhh.. the miss or "cough" is still there... albeit it seems less frequent (which it was pretty infrequent in the first place). So I may live with it til I get the 1200 kit next year sometime.

Back