free website stats program Would you go alone? | Harley Davidson Forums

Would you go alone?

toad451

I'm in the process of planning a couple of longer trips for next year. I've got the approval from the wife to go (I can get the time off and she can't). Her only requirement is that I don't go alone. I don't have a lot of friends that ride and the ones that would go only want to do a 2-3 day trip. I'm looking at a 5-6 day trip. So the question of the day is, would you go alone or would you alter the trip? I would like to hear what the seasoned travelers have to say.

I'm not what you would call a seasoned traveler ..I only been riding 4 years now ..and 50,000 plus miles....been to the east coast to the west coast...I personally would never travel alone...and its not coz I'm old its because there is strength in numbers...i.e. a brake down I would shutter to think I was out on the road alone...and thats my only reason I guess..the security of traveling with others...but then again if I can't take my wife on a long trip ..personally I would not want to go alone anyway...yeah I do lots of short trips...a couple hundred miles are so with just the guys and every now and then alone just to make the cobwebs vanish...lol Good luck either way, and safe traveling to ya.

Very complicated topic.

Sometimes it can be a real joy to travel alone and not have to coordinate every little thing with others. Go when and where you want, stop where you want, eat when and where you want - you get the picture!

I also understand the safety in numbers aspect. Someone stays with the bike while another goes for help and that sort of thing.

I think the main thing you've got to consider here is your wife's wishes. For the sake of marital harmony, if she doesn't want you riding alone, I guess the matter is settled! Unless you can rationally persuade her otherwise, and good luck with that!

This may not be the same but I'd never go alone on any long trip again, I went cruising alone(wife's scheduled) on my boat with other 15 boats for 4 days trip once and it lasted about 3hrs, then I realized that it's no fun at all, yes I'm alone in my boat, I can cruise anywhere I please, there are always people in the group to talk to but there's something missing while I'm cruising, I cancelled the cruise and drove back to the dock and in the mean while, the rest of the groups were continue on their trip.

Riding a Bike may be different but then again, without my wife, I can only do couple of hours then the "lonely feeling" kicks on and feel like I need to be home with my family.

Aside from the possible flack from the significant other, I would definitely travel alone.
I have rode from Washington state to Connecticut by way of California and Grand Canyon alone, and from Alburqurque to Connecticut alone.
For me the peace of just cruising and doing what I want is worth it.
With everyone having cell phones you are never really further than a phone call away from anyone.
The last relatively short trip I made alone was to Virginia from Connecticut and I needed help from my brothers to retrieve my brokedown butt. But that's the way it goes.:D:57:

Thanks for the input guys. I don't know that I'd go alone, although I do like the solitude and time to think which is why I'd seriously consider going alone. I could probably get the wife to waive the requirement for a short trip, but probably not on the 5-6 day trip I'd like to take. I've got 6 months to work it out so I still have time to find a friend, neighbor or co-worker that would be willing to go.

I did join HOG but have yet to join the local chapter. I've heard a lot of pros and cons to joining the local chapter but I guess I should just find out for myself. I do know they go on a couple of longer rides every year which would be fun.

I hope I didn't give the impression I didn't want to take my wife along. I would love to take her along for rides. The problem is her job and getting paid time off. Hopefully we can work it out so she can go, that would be the best option. :bigsmiley12:

Pros and Cons
The solitude is something I would enjoy and my own schedule would be great. What I do enjoy is the fellowship at the end of a long hard ride while drinking some beverage and enjoying finding out what the others may I seen that I missed. Luckily for me my wife rides her own and is willing to go anytime and anywhere I am ready to ride....

Thanks for the input guys. I don't know that I'd go alone, although I do like the solitude and time to think which is why I'd seriously consider going alone. I could probably get the wife to waive the requirement for a short trip, but probably not on the 5-6 day trip I'd like to take. I've got 6 months to work it out so I still have time to find a friend, neighbor or co-worker that would be willing to go.

Here's another thought. Since you still have about 6 months to go, post your anticipated route or itinerary on this forum and I'll bet you'll find folks who will do at least a portion of it with you. You could probably piece together a partner or two for the entire 5 or 6 days. I know how hard it is to get commitments from riding buddies for a weekend ride, let alone one lasting a week.

Back