free website stats program Won't Start/No Headlight-All Else Good | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Won't Start/No Headlight-All Else Good

Ground wire at the triple tree? I am almost sure i didn't. how would i know?

Look around your top tree (on mine it's combo in with the brake line clamp) there is a ground wire that connects the riser bolt to the tree, circumventing the rubber dampers around the riser bolt.

If the wire at the triple tree restores the headlight to working condition, it only tells you what the problem is but does not truly fix it. The triple tree pigtail is only a "redundant" ground and should never carry any current flow. Look at the schematic. The headlight circuit has it own dedicated ground wire. If the pigtail "fixes" the problem, it tells you that the dedicated headlight ground wire is still open.

If the wire at the triple tree restores the headlight to working condition, it only tells you what the problem is but does not truly fix it. The triple tree pigtail is only a "redundant" ground and should never carry any current flow. Look at the schematic. The headlight circuit has it own dedicated ground wire. If the pigtail "fixes" the problem, it tells you that the dedicated headlight ground wire is still open.

good information Hoople!!!!! thanks

Agreed but without that pigtail, the circuit is incomplete for some systems using the switches on the bars because of the vibration isolators where the bars mount to the trees. It is meant as a means of troubleshooting and not as a fix as Hoop said.

Great stuff! I am printing all of this out and going down the list until
1. It fixes the problem
2. I'm done with the list and it still doesn't run.

Wish me luck and I will deff post the results for any future readers with the same prob.

Again, Many Thanks and if there's more... Please share I will add it to my list of things to check or try.

I would say it's time to recheck the wire extensions you installed. Something either came apart or is connected wrong or making a poor connection like a pin backed out in a connector. Check your ground leads around the bars and trees, maybe furnish another temp ground to the bars themselves from the battery and see if it makes any difference.

BINGO!!!!! One of the wires underneath the heat shrink was loose. All working now! Thank you all!

Lesson here is... If you mess with the wiring. Check and re-check the wires first.

Glad you found it without too much fuss.:s

Always recheck what you worked on last for the source of the problem.

Here she is with new Apes, running, and headlights on. I am going to clean her up, tie down the loose ends, and ride while the sunsets this evening... See y'all!

Attachments

• MyApes2.jpg
    MyApes2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back