free website stats program Wobble in 2009 and later Touring Bikes? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wobble in 2009 and later Touring Bikes?

I put another brand of rear wheel stabilizer on my '05FLTRI. I did this because after I made sure the wheels were aligned and balanced correctly and the neck bearings were adjusted to specs.,I still had a wobble in tight curves. The stabilizer solved my problem. If I had the amount of weights on my tire that you have I would want to know why. Do you have aftermarket wheels? Do your tires wear evenly? If you have changed you tires did you make sure you got the proper rated tires for your bike weight?

As far as wheel weights I have gotten away for lead weights completely, I now only use Dyna Beads and love them. Not only I haven't had any issues with the wheels, theirs no lead unsightly weights on the wheels :bigsmiley12:

You know I've wanted to try these things but the people at Dyna Beads website told me I had to be certain my tires were not mounted with any water or oil based lubricants (of excess) or it could cause them to clump up. Additionally I have also heard that the liquid that may have gotten into tire will dry out over time, I wish I knew someone who had more experience with all these variables.

You know as far as the OP, I can't help but wonder if he should not check the condition of his mount mounts (especially the front one). It might be badly stretched out.

To me it feels as if the rear of the bike could come out from under you at any time. It is a feeling that you don't have a solid grip even in a gentle curve at moderate speeds.

That's not a good feeling. As an experiment, if you were to pump up the tires to 40 PSI would it improve at all? Tire brands match? Just curious, what brand/model on rear.

That's not a good feeling. As an experiment, if you were to pump up the tires to 40 PSI would it improve at all? Tire brands match? Just curious, what brand/model on rear.

Excellent advice as always from Hoople. My tires are stamped on the side for 41 psi, but if I don't check them every week it drops on me. Might be a valve stem thing.

You might want to look at your pressure in your shocks & tires. Also check wheel bearings. I had a wobble. Pressure in rear shock was low like 10lbs. Then next wobble was front wheel bearings went out, Had bike in for 20,000 mile checkup. Then at 21,659 wheel bearings where shot. On lift front tire could move 2 to 3 inches from 1 side to the other. Scarry. Dealer changed front & rear after their tire changer scratched both rims replacing 407 front & rear was cupping around 6000 miles. Heard bad things about the 2009 bearings.

Present - 42 rear & 40 front = did make a difference.....Thank you. :)
Was - 40 rear & 36 front

Checked alignment and it is OK

Checked both heim joints (turn buckles) and they both were in the neutral position.

So far i see nothing alarming with factory specs. and the bike only has 1200 miles on it, so that is as far as I am going with checking the factory settings.

I believe the vibration is coming from an unbalanced front tire.

Time permitting today, I'm going to try it with and without the brace.

Have youe changed tires or are they the original set? If they are the original set did it come from the factory with that much wheel weight? If they are original could the sidewalls be breaking down, as in dry rot?

Tires should always have a good spin balance job done on them when they are mounted to eliminate wobbles, vibrations and the extend tire life.

Back