free website stats program Winterize | Harley Davidson Forums

Winterize

Hello, I have heard from a few friends that the gas today it not good and causes problems when left in the fuel system over the winter. They recommended using racing fuel, which contains no ethanol. I was wondering what recommendations you would have pertaining to this. This is for my 2008 1200 XLN. Thank you

David

Race fuel is for raging engines - no need for using during storage. Put in some good stabilizer (Sta-Bil or Seafoam) run it for 5-min & you should be good. Don't forget to do other winter storage/prep items...(see Tank's link).

Gas today is better than it ever was.

Maybe in Wisconsin but not in Canada. If it's cold out I can hardly get gas to burn with a match. I use gas at times to get garbage lit and I have to hold the match to the gas for 5 seconds or more.

I sure hope that does not mean that tomorrows gas will be even better than it is today, because I just can't wait.:)

It may be cleaner with more additives, but I dont think it has the BTU or flash point of 10 years ago it doesnt even smell the same to my old snot locker and I work around it every day JMO:p

Thank you all for the great answers. Very much appreciated! :)

David

With the advent of EFI the maintenance is greatly simplified, as EFI is essentially a closed system, so winterizing is greatly simplified.:s

With carbs, the regimen for running the carb dry was an additional nuisance but that was to prevent gravity from filling the engine/sump with gas if the needle did not pinch off the fuel, and you forgot to close the fuel petcock...:small3d007:

Another tip I received on the fuel, like others have said, fill your tank with gas and Sta-Bil and ride it home from the gas station.

But then someone told me to shut off the fuel line, and let it run until the carburetor is empty. So then you have a full take of Sta-Bil gas and an empty fuel line and carburetor that has had Sta-Bil run through it.

Come spring, open the fuel line, prime it, choke it, and roll....

Thoughts???

You absolutely can do that with a carb bike, and it is a good idea. Not so on EFI do to no manual shut off on fuel line.

The Sta-Bil web site explains how the product works and recommends how to use it. If I remember correctly they do not recommend to drain any bowls. They also claim their product works to extend fuel life only, it does not remove water or clean like Seafoam. I would not substitute Sta-Bil with any other product, but you could use it in conjuction with other products.

This link explains Sta-Bil pretty well.
STA-BIL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back