free website stats program Winterization (the lifting of bike) | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Winterization (the lifting of bike)

It got down to 58* last night...((brrrrrrrrrrrr))!!
Try 35F in New York this morning. We have a ride scheduled tomorrow to go to Billy Joel's Garage in Syosset L I NY. That's about 2 hrs from my house meaning I have to leave about 7 or 8 AM. Should be low 30's then.

Sorry about rubbing in the "Florida Sunshine" stuff to all my frozen friends in the North... One observation though - if you put your bike on a lift for the winter, does the lift 'bleed down' or develop corrosion rings where the o-rings on the ram are exposed? What kind of lift are you using? How stable is it when you're moving the bike around the garage? Just curious in case we have another ice age and the glaciers head south!
My bike doesn't bleed down, at least not that I can notice. I bought the better Sears Jack. The yellow one. It does a good job. I don't move my bike "around the garage" but I do get it into position between the garage doors so i can do as #16 does, get my snow blower at the ready. If I didn't have the jack to position vertically between the garage doors thereby giving me more room than if it were on the jiffy stand then I would most likely leave it on the floor without the jack and not really worry too much about flat spots on the bike. If that is a concern you could roll the bike from time to time taking pressure off of the same spot.

Sorry about rubbing in the "Florida Sunshine" stuff to all my frozen friends in the North... One observation though - if you put your bike on a lift for the winter, does the lift 'bleed down' or develop corrosion rings where the o-rings on the ram are exposed? What kind of lift are you using? How stable is it when you're moving the bike around the garage? Just curious in case we have another ice age and the glaciers head south!

I have 2 bike lifts both have mechanical locks to prevent the lift from dropping the bike if the hydraulic jack fails
I have the bikes in 2 sheds and do not keep them on the lifts but do move them round for winter jobs so they do not sit too long in one place

Brian

Mavagrand / Jack....what's this snow blowing thing they are talking about on here....:newsmile036::newsmile036::small3d005:

I have never seen one here we use a shovel to move the white stuff or leave it till spring :p

Brian

I have never seen one here we use a shovel to move the white stuff or leave it till spring :p

Brian

lived on a corner lot when i was a kid. two driveways one shovel (mine), and just when you finish they come by with the grader and you get to do it again...:newsmile055:

Back