free website stats program Winter Storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter Storage

AirHog

I know there is still a lot of driving time left in NE but I was thinking out loud and need some advise regarding winter storage.

I just changed all three fluids on both of our bikes with Mobil and Spectro.

We will most probably drive another 1000 miles or so before winter. I realize we should not store the bikes with old oil, however, dumping syn oil after 1000 miles and then changing oils again in spring seems a like a very expensive proposition (2 bikes). So here are my questions:

* For winter storage can I use regular dino oil in engine and transmission.
* Dump the dino oil in spring and go back to syn. Any harm
* Does the oil filter needs to be changed again in spring it was changed before storage

Many thanks to all. Please ride safe.

Titu.

* For winter storage can I use regular dino oil in engine and transmission.
* Dump the dino oil in spring and go back to syn. Any harm
* Does the oil filter needs to be changed again in spring it was changed before storage

Changing the oil before you store the bike for the winter does you little good unless you start it and run it a couple of minutes after the fresh oil is installed. So if you start it, you will fill the new filter with dino oil. Then when you change your oil in the summer and go back to syn,, your going to have a blend of oils.

Your making a lot of work for yourself. I would not switch oil types.

I service mine at the end of the riding season no matter how many miles on the oil, the bikes are stored in a warm dry place so I dont drop the oil again in the spring, sorry, I check it all out and go.

In the above link for the Extended Bike Storage tip I will add that I disagree with the advice that says...

Once a month or so, turn the engine over a couple of times, to keep things loose and lubed !

Short runs of the engine are not recommended. Below is what the HD service manual says ...

Just thinking out loud here but maybe it doesn't mean to actually start the engine - just "turn it over" with the plugs removed or some other method to prevent it from starting but keep things lubed?

Luckily, I live in a climate that doesn't require storage!

Just thinking out loud here but maybe it doesn't mean to actually start the engine - just "turn it over" with the plugs removed or some other method to prevent it from starting but keep things lubed?

Luckily, I live in a climate that doesn't require storage!

That would push oil round the system and keep everything moving and it is easy on my old bikes
they don't like starting when its cold and if you don't turn on the petrol tap they wont start ever
Perhaps not so easy on the fi bikes but if you pull the plugs fit them into the end of the plug leads and ensure they are touching the engine so that the spark completes its journey or some of the more sensitive electronic parts may get sick

Brian

Just to tap into the original questions, does not make sense, you are basically going to have to do an extra oil change then come spring again. Just do the change over with the 1000 miles on the oil, and then come spring you are good to go. If you change over to Dino oil only to change back you are adding an unnessary step in there.

Just to tap into the original questions, does not make sense, you are basically going to have to do an extra oil change then come spring again. Just do the change over with the 1000 miles on the oil, and then come spring you are good to go. If you change over to Dino oil only to change back you are adding an unnessary step in there.

I totally agree with Bwalsh22.

BWalsh is correct, if you put fresh oil in before winter you will notice the post that Tank put up with returning to service says that is good oil in there, and your first ride if it is a long one will circulated it and lube the farthest reaches and should heat hot enough to "dry out" any moisture from the original morning startup...just enjoy the ride...no need to throw out good oil or be too hasty if the winter oil was fresh to begin with.:D

If the synthetic oil is only going to have 1,000 miles on it, does it even NEED to be changed at all? That seems like such a waste for an oil that's supposed to get 5-6,000 miles before it needs changing. How "dirty" can it be with less than 1500 miles on it? I say, just leave it in there, and ride it next Spring another 2,000 miles, then change it.

Back