free website stats program Windshield suggestions, please. | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield suggestions, please.

Stormrider51

My FLHTC with its fairing/windshield is the first bike I've owned where I couldn't adjust the height of the unit. I understand that Harley makes three windshield heights and I came up with the tallest one. It was on the bike when I bought it. I've always adjusted a windshield so that it came just below my line of sight when riding. On this one I'm looking through the 'shield about 1.5-2" down. It's not a problem on nice dry days but I tend to ride in anything short of ice-on-the-road situations. Last night there was a light rain when I needed to run an errand. The combination of rain on the windshield and oncoming headlights made me less than happy with my ability to see. So what I'm asking for is suggestions from those who have dealt with this situation before. It seems to me that I have three options:

1. Buy one of the middle height windshields or swap someone who has a middle height and wants a tall.
2. Cut the existing one down to fit.
3. Try the Harley version of Rain-X and see if that cures the headlight glare problem.

All three would seem to have potential problems. What was your solution?

Thanks,
John

John

Your decision should based on what you want and the size of the wallet.

You can cut the one down that you have now however I would get the lower one just in case you decide that you like the tall one better in the long run..If you decide, check this link out. He has a great product that many have used and been very happy with too.

http://www.fastaire.com/

Thanks Glider. I'm wondering if the coatings on the Harley lexan will tend to peel if the windshield is cut. The advantage would be that I could have the shield exactly the height I want. The prices for the replacements you sent the link for are good enough that I may go that route. I'll probably also try a can of the windshield treatment that Harley sells. If it does the job my problem is solved.

My Classic has the stock tall windshield, and it works well for me.
I am 6'3" and sit high in the saddle, so normally I am looking an inch or 2 over the top of the shield. Then when the weather is less than great, I can hunch down a little and look just below the top, and keep most of it out of my face.
Just for fun I tried a Road Glide a year ago with a standard windshield. I found that the wind was hitting me in the face and constantly buffeting my helmet. I found this very aggravating after a short while. It's the only objectionable thing I noticed about the Glide.
In the end it comes down to personal choice I guess.
Rod:taunt

NVPC - I could have sworn that I read somewhere, probably in the owners manual, that Rain-X would cause the coating on the shield to turn cloudy. If you aren't having problems I'll give it a try.

Rod - I'm 5' 11" so I'm looking through the shield all the time. It wasn't a problem until that night ride in the rain. I've never had a problem with buffetting with a shield set up just below my line of sight but then again this is the first bike I've owned with a full fairing/windshield. The angle of the windshield is a factor in how the bubble of air forms over the rider and this shield may need to be higher.

John

I replace the stock windshield with a 6"smoked on I found on Ebay for @ $30.
The stocker's top area I look thru seemed to distort the road.
With the smoked shield the wind was not in your face while looking over the top of the shield the road was not distorted.

NVPC - I could have sworn that I read somewhere, probably in the owners manual, that Rain-X would cause the coating on the shield to turn cloudy. If you aren't having problems I'll give it a try.

Rod - I'm 5' 11" so I'm looking through the shield all the time. It wasn't a problem until that night ride in the rain. I've never had a problem with buffetting with a shield set up just below my line of sight but then again this is the first bike I've owned with a full fairing/windshield. The angle of the windshield is a factor in how the bubble of air forms over the rider and this shield may need to be higher.

John
Been using it since 1990 with no problems at all. I also use the Rain-X Anti-Fog on the inside of my goggles and face shields, works great!

Well, right now I'm not sure what height I need to get. Take a look at the photos. With a measuring tape hooked over the top of the windshield the reading at the edge of the fairing looks to be just over 12" which would mean that I already have a standard instead of a tall. Or is that the wrong place to measure to? Anyone know?

Attachments

• windshield 002.jpg
    windshield 002.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 51
  • windshield 001.jpg
    windshield 001.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 39
Back