free website stats program Windshield nut/ferrule came out with screw | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield nut/ferrule came out with screw

oldhippie

Just my luck today. Was changing my windshield on my EG UC's fairing and one screw just wouldn't back out. Unfortunately the screw and ferrule were turning together. Popped the windshield out and removed the fairing face and had the pull the ferrule and screw out together with it.
The fairing hole for the ferrule isn't cracked but some material did come out with it.

Any suggestions on what to use to secure the ferrule in the hole again?

I had the same problem with my '07 back in '09. I covered the ferrule in Super Glue and put it back in. I haven't had a problem with it since, and I change windshields about 5 times a year (can't decide on a favorite).

I had the same problem with my '07 back in '09. I covered the ferrule in Super Glue and put it back in. I haven't had a problem with it since, and I change windshields about 5 times a year (can't decide on a favorite).
Thanks Breeze. I'll have to search for some glue. Must have some hiding around the house somewhere.

I just used JB Weld on mine. Just a small amount. I screwed the screw in flush with the the end of the ferrule to keep the JB from getting in the threads. After dry time just unscrewed the screw & put fairing back on. That was years ago. Still working.
tourbox

The new replacement ferrules are a larger diameter than the OEMs. But the slot that is intended to screw the new ferrule into the fairing is probably gonna break when you try to screw it in with a big screw driver. Not all is lost!! Just find a couple of nuts that will thread on a 1/4-20 bolt and run them up the bolt. Then screw the bolt into the new ferrule and then use the nuts to "jam" the ferrule so it will not turn. That way you can tread the new ferrule into the fairing without worrying about breaking the slot (in fact I broke them off intentionally so I had a more solid surface to jam the nuts against). When you screw the new ferrule into the fairing, it will cut a new thread into the fairing. Go slow! Once the new ferrule is threaded in to flush with the plastic, stop. That should do it!!

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
TQ; The slots on the replacement ferrules go in first, they are not for a screwdriver. It has something to do with taper or room for excess plastic to accumulate. Many years ago a fella named "Glider" had a thread on this here.

TQ; The slots on the replacement ferrules go in first, they are not for a screwdriver. It has something to do with taper or room for excess plastic to accumulate. Many years ago a fella named "Glider" had a thread on this here.

Ahh! Did not know that. Well, I assume that the "jam" nut process is still the way to install these things, only do NOT break off the "tangs". Install with them going in first!!!

Or, check this out!!!:

https://www.amazon.com/Harley-David...llation-HDsmallPARTS-HDS-3BI-T2/dp/B00HV1ZBH8

Cheers,

TQ

Back