free website stats program Windshield mpg | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield mpg

Without the windshield the wind will hit me , and the windshield being a smooth surface , I think that there wouldn't be very much if any difference . I have never tried it but it looks like we are in for some nice weather , and I have been wanting to ride some anyway . Thanks for the excuse. I'll have to get my barkeepers friend and clean the bathroom fixtures first . Everyone have a good ride .
That is true.Although I have noticed with a helmet on or off,I will get more resistance with it on.Especially a full face one.We don't have helmet laws here.

I had a VTX 1800 C, came without a windshield, And I was getting 38/40 mpg, Then for comfort I put on a large Memphis Shades Windshield, My mileage dropped to 33/34. Comfort over mileage, If you like getting sand blasted and removing bugs out of your teeth, :newsmile099: dump the shield and save some gas...

there will be a difference for sure. i take mine off for riding around town and back on when long ride's are in order. i notice that with it off i go faster quicker and with it on there is a lot of drag. so its got to hurt the mileage but prob not a whole lot at the normal riding speeds ie around here 55-65 i have a tall wind screen. with it off i get longer ride's on a tank with it on anything above 65mph and i get really bad mileage .
Yeah,I hear you there.Cruisin at 80 or 90 on the RK is very doable,but the mileage is horrible at those higher speeds.

I had a VTX 1800 C, came without a windshield, And I was getting 38/40 mpg, Then for comfort I put on a large Memphis Shades Windshield, My mileage dropped to 33/34. Comfort over mileage, If you like getting sand blasted and removing bugs out of your teeth, :newsmile099: dump the shield and save some gas...
Thanks,this is what I was guessing at.The est combind city/hwy on my bike is 42,so real close to your VTX.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is true.Although I have noticed with a helmet on or off,I will get more resistance with it on.Especially a full face one.We don't have helmet laws here.

LUCKY YOU i wish they didnt here. back when i was in my 20's there was no helmet laws then some dang woman had her kid killed or sumtin and that changed. women always kill good stuff. i rode with out a helmet (lucky didnt get busted) one day and ya what a difference in riding that was. i prefer no helmet. i grew up on bikes and never owned a helmet till i got this scoot.:coffee

I have been riding for over 40 years without a windshield. About 6 months ago I finally purchased a Harley that had a windshield. Let's just say "what was I thinking!" I use to think there was no greater feeling then having the wind in your face. We'll with the windshield you get the same great feeling without the bugs, leaves, sand or occasional piece of gravel striving to keep you alert. Not to mention its nice to be able to breathe when doing 80 on the interstate into the wind. Every now and again I go old school and pull the windshield off for a ride around town. But for the most part for the miles of enjoyable riding I have experienced with the windshield I have decided if there is a difference in mpg its not worth worrying about considering the overall riding comfort the windshield provides. Perhaps this is yet another sign of just getting old...

another thing that i noticed with the wind screen is i dont get dehydrated as bad with it on. here its hot 110 in summer months 100 most of the time. so thats a plus.

Back