free website stats program Windshield Choices | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield Choices

I never used a windshield on my Sporty but now I'm on the Ultra and have to admit I do like the windshield (and a few other items). The edge of the stock shield is right in my line of site. So the question is, do I go taller or shorter?

If I go shorter, how much more air turbulance am I going to get. How do the re-curve shields work?

Appreciate any input

I personally like the 9 1/2 inch windshield which is shorter. I would rather a clear view then looking thru plastic and I don't have any issues with the wind coming over the windshield. I also have a shorter one that does give me problems on very windy days. I'm 5' 10".

I've got a Clearview windshield with recurve on my Street Glide, and really likie it. It seems to help with the wind turbulance. I like to have the shield tall enough to be just below my line of sight, so if I need to I can duck down behind it. If it's raining, you definitely want to be able to look over the windshield.

TXMikey nailed it - you don't want to be looking through the shield in case of rain or condensation. I also have a Clearview with the recurve and I love it. Use some cardboard or stiff paper taped to your existing shield to try out the different heights they offer.

Like TX and DOC I like the shield about 2"-3" below my sight horizon to make sure I can look over the wind screen if it fogs suddenly...(and it will if you go through mountain passes at night, when you least expect it). Ride long and be safe!

Thanks for all the input. I'm 5'10", or at least I used to be. I'll try the tape trick and get a feel for it, but it looks like 9" or so might be the best bet.

Thanks

Wait... to clarify- when it's raining you guys like to look OVER the windshield? I duck behind mine in the rain to be able to see, plus it doesn't feel like I am getting my whole face tattooed!! Am I backwards here?

I duck down so I'm looking OVER, but just barely. It's hard to see through it with all the rain and dirt on it.

Same here. The rain hurts, but if you can't see through the windshield the resulting hurt might be worse. :s

I never used a windshield on my Sporty but now I'm on the Ultra and have to admit I do like the windshield (and a few other items). The edge of the stock shield is right in my line of site. So the question is, do I go taller or shorter?

If I go shorter, how much more air turbulance am I going to get. How do the re-curve shields work?

Appreciate any input

I'm 6'1" and my stock shield hit right there too.Either straining to look over or scrunching to look thru.I ordered the 8" re-curve from clearview.BEST money I've spent for a while.No buffeting without my helmet and with my helmet the wind hits the very top.I would highly recommend this windshield.

Haven't heard anyone comment on the Klock Werks windshields and would like to hear some feedback on the 8" as well as the 12" ones. - Thanks FXRS

Back