free website stats program Wind buffeting | Harley Davidson Forums

Wind buffeting

tubguy

Ok guys,heres a question that I'm hoping someone can give and idea of what to do.. I ride a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra with hard lowers, my problem is with the wind that comes up underneath my chin and blows my beard into my eyes. I know its a weird question but Ive tried everything to sop it. so wondering what I can install to keep the wind from doing this, My beard is long and Ive seen other guys with the same, and seem to have no issues.

Thanks

Do you already have the wind deflector on the bottom of the lower triple tree? If not you might try that,it helps somewhat.It was a stock item on the earlier Ultras.My '06 & '12 didn't have it either so I put one on. Funny thing was a chrome one was cheaper than a black one. I think it was only around $20 .
tourbox

There was a post on here somewhere (I think it was jacks flaps vest) where the flaps on the vest would prevent the wind from coming up in your face. It was like when you are riding and you put your arm across your chest the wind disappears.

I use the adjustable plastic wind deflectors that mount to the lower part of the fairing, along with the fork baffle and the large (some say ugly) chrome deflectors that mount to the sides of the forks.

I use the adjustable plastic wind deflectors that mount to the lower part of the fairing, along with the fork baffle and the large (some say ugly) chrome deflectors that mount to the sides of the forks.

chrome deflectors that mount to the sides of the forks
Hey Breeze3at do they make them that will fit with the hard lowers?
If so I sure would like to try them as I still get a fair amount of wind
on a cold day.

chrome deflectors that mount to the sides of the forks
Hey Breeze3at do they make them that will fit with the hard lowers?
If so I sure would like to try them as I still get a fair amount of wind
on a cold day.

I never thought of that problem until you posted. Mine do almost touch the engine guard. I just looked them up in the HD catalog and it says does not work with hard lowers. Hmmm, lets look around and see if we can find some that will work on Ultras.

I know a member here who has the fork mounted deflectors I think with hard lowers. If I can remember I'll ask him what kind he got.

When rolling down the road, you are actually creating a sort of vacuum (low pressure area) behind the windshield. If you can find a product that breaks this vacuum, without directing the air up from below, or whistling, you will be good to go. I simply braid my beard before riding. I'm basically lazy, and have gotten pretty good at doing it without a mirror.

BTW. This is the source for much of the turbulence in the hat/helmet area, also. What you are experiencing is one or more vortices, traceable to the edges of the effective wing, formed by the fairing and/or windshield. The best you can hope to do is move, or distribute, the vortices differently, as is done by a variety of baffles/deflectors and windshield curve profiles. Smoke lines in a wind tunnel will reveal that you actually have a dominant vortex spinning horizontally, right in front of your face. You are actually seeing the same air more than once. Break that and you are good. How to break it is a nice trick, without the wind tunnel. Don't try it while riding.

Just my 2 cents, but it might help in looking in effective directions.

Good luck,
Rich P

Back