free website stats program Will Dealer install parts I bring in? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Will Dealer install parts I bring in?

Thanks all,

I did call my dealer.......and they said they would......said they would rather I buy from them, but they would do the install........I am not much of a wrench guy, especially on a MC.......I plan to get the extended warranty at the end of the 2 year warranty and don't want them to say "sorry" you have had a bunch of work done.......I am new to this, and plan to ride this bike for a long time...........

Steve

Hey 9FLHR,

I didn't take it as sarcasim.......thanks for the analogy.....I totally get what you are saying.........thanks and can I ask a question........

I am thinking about getting some slip ons.........and would have the dealer install the stage one kit.....do you notice the bike running with anymore power........sorry if this is a beginner question......I am a beginner......LOL

thanks, Steve

The stage 1 and Slip-on mufflers together are only about a 1/2-1 hr job if you do it yourself. And if you dont have the tools it can be done with the tools that are supplied in the pouch you got with your Harley.Make sure you ask the dealer how much time he is going to charge you BEFORE you take it there.

One of the points not listed here is the issue of liability of the intallation. Whom ever installs your exhaust will assume the safety and correctness of the installation. This is a big reason most marquee dealerships will not install tires bought by mail. No one knows how the tires were stored, etc. I think in this case the economy is lowering many dealerships standards to get business in their stores. Fossil

Ok, you've got me scratching my head on this one. Are you saying they "assume" liability of the installation or the item itself or both? I've purchased tires from the mail for many years and have never had a problem with installation nor with anything else for that matter with any shop whether indy or HD. Just a thought.
Ugly John

good point guys.......I live right up the street from a place called Pipe City, and can save some cash on the Vance and Hines slip ons.....wanted to buy them adn take to the dealer and have them put on along with a stage one kit..........

thanks for all the responses.....Steve

From what I've seen, most dealerships have their hourly labor rate posted prominently behind the service desk. I don't think that they care alot about putting on parts purchased elsewhere. However they may charge you for a little longer time:s

Hey, Steve,
If you are comfortable using a socket set, you can do this yourself. It is an easy job, especially with all the knowledge on this forum
A friend of mine bought vance and hines longshots and a fuelpak on ebay, and saved hundreds of dollars compared to buying it from a dealer. Plus, you'll save another couple hundred if you don't pay them for labor.
Swapping out the mufflers and air cleaner is a simple bolt on job, and reprogramming the computer is also quite easy - fuelpak is extremely simple, and something like a power commander is a bit more involved but still pretty straight forward (you'll need a laptop). I changed the map on my power commander, and it was a breeze. The software provided has a step by step tutorial.
have fun!

up to now, I thought this board was a bit different than the gun fourms I have been on in the past.........guess I was wrong about a few posters.....thanks for all the positive feedback........

I guess if the bacon and eggs at my local diner were not what I wanted.....I might........

up to now, I thought this board was a bit different than the gun fourms I have been on in the past.........guess I was wrong about a few posters.....thanks for all the positive feedback........

I guess if the bacon and eggs at my local diner were not what I wanted.....I might........

I wasn't trying to be obnoxious,Steve(but maybe I came across that way and if I did I certainly apologize for that)but I was just quoting my dealer who would not install anything that wasn't purchased from him.

One of the points not listed here is the issue of liability of the intallation. Fossil

Never thought of that Fossil....Are you sayin' that if I have them install it and I get a ticket for being too loud, they have to assume the responsibility for it? :bigsmiley12:

To KingHeritage.....

thank you.....as a competition shooter and avid gun person, I have been (not in the last few years) on the gun forums....they started out great....but got so bad, I won't get on them anymore.....funny thing is, I work part time for a gun company and have a insiders view of the whole industry......so when I was still on them, I would just laugh at most of the posters there.....

anyway, thanks for your note...I really appreciate it.....I am new to the Harley Davidson......so, yes, I am a rookie....I did call my dealer, and he was happy to help.....like I said before, he said he would rather me buy stuff from them, but would help intall anything I brought in......since I pay my ex half of what I make, i need to save wherever I can.....

I love my bike, and don't want to mess it up.......if you know what I mean.....

I am finding this forum a lot of fun, and thanks to all of you for the help......Steve

Back