free website stats program Wild Ones tire pattern | Harley Davidson Forums

Wild Ones tire pattern

Deuce10

Watching the movie Wild Ones recently I noticed the tread pattern on Brandos 51 Triumph Thunderbird..and I really like it. I have never seen this pattern on a bike tire...criss-cross pattern covering the full tire...I would love to find these tires or a very similar tread for my Deuce.
So Im testing the validity of the Internet..to see if someone out there in the ether can locate said tire pattern.
Thanks
Im Deuce10

Back in the '60s & '70s I ran a diamond pattern tire on my enduro bikes. I'm not sure but I think they were Bridgstones.

Is it like the attached pic? That is a "trials" tire, a multipurpose tire for street and dirt. Available from many mfgs. and lousy on pavement. I saw a couple of "promo" pictures for the wild one. The front tire on the Triumph (supposedly his own personal bike) was a rib tread. There is a picture of him straddling a Matchless (tank badge turned upside down to be a W), that looks like it has trials tires on it.

I forgot to att. picture.

Attachments

• trials tire.png
    trials tire.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Breeze. The trials or enduro tire I ran the pattern was turned 45* so that the diamond point faced up. There was a period around '69-'70 that I got tires from a supplier that got me to try a tire made for flattrack. If I remember correctly they were Dunlop. Maybe these are the ones I'm thinking about.

Nice work Breeze. The trials or enduro tire I ran the pattern was turned 45* so that the diamond point faced up. There was a period around '69-'70 that I got tires from a supplier that got me to try a tire made for flattrack. If I remember correctly they were Dunlop. Maybe these are the ones I'm thinking about.

That rang a bell with me. A little search turned up a pic at AMA Pro Racing - Flat track - About. Tread patterns probably have changed a little since 1953. :s

Thanks Breeze, the pic you posted is not exactly the pattern. The one I saw in the movie is as Don described,( the pattern was turned 45* so that the diamond point faced up)... Diamond pattern. Maybe it wasnt Brandos bike, maybe one of the other bikes in the movie. sure do like that pattern, plus I gottah get new tires very soon. Let me know if you spot the Diamond anywhere...Thanks again.
Deuce

Diamond tread , huh?

Try Coker tire.

Was it something like this?

tn423s3.jpg

450-18 COKER CLASSIC CYCLE DIAMOND TREAD BLACKWALL TIRE - Coker Classic - Cars Trucks - Tire Brands

You would not want that patteren on a street bike. They are meant to be used off road and on the road they didn't give you any traction and were awful in the rain. They are a compromise between Knobby and street and when it came to enduro we all went to knobbies. For trials we had to settle for the smother enduro tire for grip at odd angles.

Very close match Air Force, except for the two solid bands. HDDon tells me I wont like this pattern for street riding....so maybe its a wish I'll just have to live without...

but but but Brando had one.. : ( whayyyy.......what if I just ride in the ditches?

Back