free website stats program Wifey got motorcycle license... now what bike? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wifey got motorcycle license... now what bike?

I had a similar issue. My girl was content to being a passenger, never had a single urge to ride on her own.....until the day she took the safety course. Now this very independent, intelligent woman rides the 2008 screamin eagle springer softail. She has a bigger badder bike than I do :17: lol

I started with the deuce. I don't regret it a bit. But, it was my choice, and other than studying the bikes and the looks I liked, the only info I had was what my friends told me. They did tell me I would not be happy with the sportster for very long. But that's just me. Now, I kind of like the looks of the 1200, olive & black with black ceramic pipes, not that I look, but that does catch my eye. :D Best advice I can give, go with what feels best to her. :s

went on a local run this weekend with about 50 other bikes.... to my amazement there was a girl riding a VROD... taller than my wife but not any stronger looking... she looked real 'good' on that bike... of course I pointed that out to my wife (not the smartest thing to do as wifey's do get jealous ... especially younger good 'lookers' :lolrolling) anybody know much about the VROD?

I never got use to the Vrod. I loved the stories that came around when it first came out but I never found to be appealing to myself. With that said, I too saw a female ride on one and thought she looked pretty good on the bike. I agree, with the right pipes that thing sounds amazing.

My wife just purchased her first Harley. We went through many bikes as options; Vrod, Rocker, Night Train, Crossbones, Fat Bob, and Nightster. In the end she went with the Nightster. She felt it gave her the best fit (5'6") and she really liked the mean old school look to it. I tried to push her towards a bigger bike (only so I could ride it too!) but once she zero'd in the choice was made. Then she got out the parts catalog and started making me out the weekend installation schedule that I was going to be working.

I thought I wanted a vrod first. That was what I started looking at, but after talking to a sales guy one day, I was sitting on the vrod, and he just gave me information to think about. He basically said that it wasn't the best handling bike at lower speeds, and that it had a relatively large turning radius. I just figured that wouldn't be the best start for me. I'm not sure if the deuce will be much better in the turning radius, but I like it! I appreciated the fact that the sales guy just answered questions, and stated that he didn't want to steer me in a direction I didn't want to go, but he just gave me information to consider. Ask her what she likes, looks & styles etc, then go sit on lots of bikes :D I started looking and studying in the fall, but didn't buy anything until the spring. I new the bike felt just right :s

update

So this yesterday we did a Craigslist thing and went looking... 1st stop an 883 hugger... pearl , windshield, bags...just what she wanted ...until she sat on it and realized just how top heavy it was... could see the disappointment in her eyes...2nd stop 1200c ...all stock except lowered shocks... owner was a first timer (just as short as my wife)...she sat on it an what a difference... lower center of gravity made it much easier to handle... BIG smile on her face...so she decided she wants it.... 2007 black <1200 miles...just a nice sporty.... will upload pics when we get it home....thanks all for your comments.

My wife did the same. We found her a used Honda VLX, 1500 miles for 3,000. This is a light easy bike to ride. She rode it for 6 mos. and is ready for a Harley. My advice to her is to pick out 2 or 3 models like a Dyna, Heritage, and Softail Standard. Ride them and find the one she likes best. They can fit her to the bike by lowering it or a reach seat or combination. A friends wife lasted 3 months on a Sportster traded for a used Heritage and now you could not get her on a Sportster.

The little woman is in the process of getting her license. She has sat on every harley and due to a a height impairment (lol) and short inseam she loved the height and balance of the 1200L, we looked at the duece and deluxe but she felt they were just to heavy and the seats are wider which impacted her putting her feet down. Plus the 1200L has a 17 litre tank versus the 12 litre on the custom. Width of the seat can be just as bad as the seat height for those who are shorter. Looked at the 105 anna and she found reaching the forward controls a little difficult.

Just have to remember there are many things that can impact a riders comfort and ability to handle a bike. Always check out all the options and then chose.

Back