free website stats program Wife looking at a Nightster | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wife looking at a Nightster

I would suggest bypassing the sporty and go for a superglide if the wife can handle just a bit more bike and the finances can stand the extra. It will take care of the situation for a long time instead of upgrading after you try to taylor the bike to fit her. JMHO.

I'm with Glider on this one, Wife wanted a sportster, but she's. 5' 8" and
somewhat on the heavy side. So I convinced her to buy a lowrider and she
likes it, said she was glad she didn't. get the Sportster. Now she wants a
Heritage or Indian Vintage, go figure.

p.s. She has a quick disconnect windsheild also.

Check out the Softail Deluxe - it's an awesome bike with excellent handling - lower centre of gravity - I rode it on Test Our Metal and almost changed my order! My first Harley was a 04 Sporty (883 C) and I enjoyed it but found it a bit top heavy. I just moved up to a Street Glide 6 weeks ago and absolutely love it - it could also be another option for her. Being 5'3"-135lbs I put a reach seat on just to bring my legs closer together to feel more stable when stopped and manoeuvering. Keep in mind - size doesn't matter!

Depend on the type of riding you plan to do.... Like the post attached my wife has the Softail Deluxe and she is 5'4" at most 120 pounds and she handles it very well. Most of our riding is longer trips.. Have gone as many as 600 miles in a day. My first bike was a 1200 Sportster and I could never ride that bike that far. The Deluxe has a very low center of gravity and is easier to ride than the smaller Sportster. If you're riding around town or less than a 100 miles at a time the bike will be good for that.

Been ridin 2-up on my 07 Nightster for awhile.
I have Mustang Wide Vintage Solo and Pillion with inset sissy bar backrest (extra inch). The sissy bar and pillion are easy to remove for solo. I bought chrome passenger foot peg mounts and traded them to a friend for his black ones (chrome/black same price new). I also have forward controls which help with overall leg room.
After multiple 500 mile plus weekends the wife gets leg cramps due to her knee position related to my hips. The shocks are (edit) ! I'm switching them soon for bagger air shocks. We use a T Bag on the sissy bar for storage, but recently added custom mounted throwover saddlebags. The saddle bags made her foot room tight so I got some Kury adjustable peg mounts ( 2 or 4 inch rotatable) and moved her pegs forward and lower. That solved the leg cramps for her. Once I get the shocks mounted I plan to re-mount the saddle bags so that they will be detachable.

Bottom line 2-up is ok with mods, Nightster is better solo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 5' and 125 lbs I have a 08 nightster love it, I do feel the bike is not for long trips but I ride town and county roads. I put on the reach seat. Now I'm looking to put on different shocks because the stock shocks aren't very good. Not totally flat footed. Any suggestions?
The bike handles great and is easy to ride. Its been a great second bike and my first Harley

My wife is 5'3", bout 120 lbs. She looked at many bikes. Chose the 09 Street Bob. She felt that if she started with a smaller bike, she would soon out grow it. We traveled quite a bit this summer (10,000) in many demographic locations. She has never complained of being uncomfortable. Added front pegs so she could streach her legs. Many 400+ mile days. :)This bike rocks!!! What ever you do, make sure that your wife is the one that picks the bike.

My better half has 09 Nightster and luvs it,weve been to middle france from Liverpool UK no probs,although we did have a Sundowner seat fitted prior to trip,also cruisin pegs,she is 5"7 8stone hope this helps.

Sportsters are good bikes I think a dyna is better for longer rides I think the newer Sportsters no longer have a trapdoor transmission check with Glider to be sure if thats true any tranny problems would be big problems

I don't think "bouncy" is the right word. I am what is being bounced, not the bike, so it rides a bit rigid. Whatever. I like it, I'm keeping it. I just want it to be even blacker. We raised the shocks a tad which helped. I am 5'7 and weigh 135; my legs are long so the forward controls were a must.

My new La Pera seat (thanks to Bait) is sweet!

june13003.jpg

Sweet looking ride and I like the Toy Box Hauler...for those long layovers...me being a minimalist has it's limitations! :lolrolling

Back