free website stats program Why so much for tires? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why so much for tires?

Have you noticed that all parts and accessories cost at least twice as much for Harley and other cycles as compared to the price of those psrts for autos! Its a racket!! Motorcycle wheels are a geat example~ For chrome wheels for a bike...ave price is nearly doubled to that of an auto rim! Check em out!

Why do motorcycle tires cost so much more than car tires and you get half the rubber?:33:

It also has to do with VOLUME of Tyres produced. More Tyres are Produced for Cars than there is for Motocycles. The exception being in Countries where the majority are using Motorcycles and Bicycles.

It also has to do with VOLUME of Tyres produced. More Tyres are Produced for Cars than there is for Motocycles. The exception being in Countries where the majority are using Motorcycles and Bicycles.

THAT'S 100% correct.

Think of what you just paid for your motorcycle compared to what you would pay for an average sedan. So much more material goes into a car but it doesn't cost so much more than a motorcycle. The reason is that they will sell a dozen cars for every motorcycle thats sold. So they can afford to sell them a little cheaper...it's all about volume.

The most popular make/model of motorcycle doesn't even come close to the numbers sold as the 3rd most popular car or truck.

The reason motorcycle and motorcycle parts cost a lot is that they are not sold in nearly the same quantity as automobiles and auto parts. This means that the parts cost more to mfr since they're making them in smaller quantities. Think of any wholesale good. The more you buy, the less the individual price-per-item is. The same applies to all those things used to make a motorcycle or it's parts.

this Man knows what's up... there are cheaper tires ... I won't put one on my Sled though.... keyword... cheaper

Baggertee

Thru harley a dunlop rear for my roadking goes for over a hundred and fifty bucks the indy down the road gets 130 for a rear dunlop but I just found 1 on ebay for 77 delivered (same tire) so don't tell me they are that much because of production costs, they are that much because of markup.

Last edited:
I think they are marked up so much because you can't ride without them and they tire companies are like the HD dealer. You pay because it's a luxury and they know that you woun't do without them.

Let's face it, some people will not have the money to buy a car for $20K let alone a bike that isn't a necessity.

I payed $810 for my 4x4 and $20,000 for my motorcycle. Anymore questions?:dknow:taunt:laugh

I was spending 17 dollars a day in gas driving the jeep to work so I figured it a must to buy a motorcycle now I spend between 8 and 10 dollars every 2 days for gas, BIG savings! But in a years time I have went thru 1 front tire and 2 back tires.

Last edited:
I was spending 17 dollars a day in gas driving the jeep to work so I figured it a must to buy a motorcycle now I spend between 8 and 10 dollars every 2 days for gas, BIG savings! But in a years time I have went thru 1 front tire and 2 back tires.

But just look at the fun factor of riding to work!

Back