free website stats program Why my charging system does not deliver enough volts? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why my charging system does not deliver enough volts?

Thanks jeff and joel for taking care: yes, I brought the battery to service center for a three-days-test and today they have said that the battery is good and very strong. Strange, the battery is supposed to deliver 400 CCA, but it delivers almost 500 CCA. When I start the bike, the battery does not go below 10 V....even though I do not believe it is stator, today I could not get more than about 12 VAC on about 1000 rpm...tested with an old voltage regulator, tested with the new voltage regulator mounted as well....the same result: about 12 VAC....but between stator pins I got about 0.2/0.1 ohms but within second falls to 0.000....check for continuity between each stator pin and frame/good ground shows infinite resistance....as of regulator, test light does not give even the slightest amount of light, nothing.....but with voltmeter I do get poor, just poor amount of voltage, let's say about 0.002 volts...

Also, I performed another test, so called rotor test, which says "If the AC output test fails (AC output test failed) and Resistance Check and Stator IB Test pass (both test passed), then the rotor is at fault". I think this could be a problem....so we definitely need to open primary cover and to do visual inspection and if we do not visually identify the problem, we shall need - first of all - to bring the stator to be tested "on the table"....

Welcome from Ohio.
Mucho thanks....

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the tests you performed and results I think your on track with it being a stator issue.
We you open the primary cover do the sniff test, does it smell burnt inside?

Hi there my dear Harley friends. Here I am again, this time with our findings and full information.

To tell you the truth, I was quite confused since all electrical segments of the problem – the battery, voltage regulator, rotor, stator and all contacts and wires/wiring – passed all recommended tests on the bike and all recommended tests on the table. But, after all, the truth was that alternator was NOT delivering sufficient amount of volts/voltage, so we decided to start with tearing apart primary in order to reach rotor and stator. Visually, rotor was OK, so my friend, car and the bike professional, unwrapped the stator, and learned that one phase of the stator was not really OK delivering poor voltage ONLY when the stator was hot during the ride (even though the both phases passed „the table tests“ under more than 220 VAC !). So he professionally reeled it up with the brand new wires that were supposed to be used for the reconstruction of the stators and when we put everything back in the primary, we were surprised that the alternator started delivering full 19-26 VAC on about 1000 rpm....meaning between 12,7 VDC and 13,9 VDC. Test ride was perfect, too, almost always more than 13,5 VDC.

So, to make this story short, since we do not have a Harley-Davidson dealer or service here in Bosnia, we needed to use all the other resources that we had, including your precious advices from this Forum and....here we are: problem solved!

Thanks again, I respect your inputs, indeed, and have my best regards from Bosnia!

---------------------------------
THE FIRST SARAJEVO HARLEY-DAVIDSON CLUB
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-First-Sarajevo-Harley-Davidson-Club/121702474647007
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.163078797061414.27691.100000778847200&type=3&l=daf8484f07

Last edited:
Great to hear you have the problem solved.
It had to be fun wrapping the wire , hope the fingers aren't hurting.

Back