free website stats program Why does jackshaft pinion keep trashing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why does jackshaft pinion keep trashing

UPDATE: Major issue appears to be fixed, but still working on backfire when starting.

This time, the Dealership replaced the jackshaft and pinion, inner-primary jackshaft bushing, clutch basket, and related gaskets, seals, etc without charge. This was the third time they installed a Drag Specialties clutch basket, so they also used Drag pinion and jackshaft kit, and it does sound better while cranking than it did when using OEM pinions.

I asked them to replace the cam position sensor with the OEM part ($244, dang), and to verify correct VOES operation and timing. The service manager also recommended replacing the battery, which was a 450 CCA battery from the local farm store. So, I agreed to have them install a HD battery ($180, dang, dang).

My bike runs great, so I don’t think I need a new ECM after-all. The kickback issue seems to be resolved. For years, when starting a warm engine, I have opened the throttle slightly. So now I have been starting warm without touching the throttle; no backfire. Cold engine starting has never been a backfire situation; I give the throttle a couple of twists then leave it alone, full choke and hit the button. It’s always started right up.
Big thank you to Frenchie and BWG for their input.

Wow, lots of new parts!! Oh well, it takes what it takes. Good to hear that you are back on the road again, and thanks for the feedback!

Well, since my last report, almost a year ago, this saga has continued. Most everything remained copacetic through the fall, with occasional backfires (afterfires?) in the exhaust when restarting a warm:hot engine.
Then this spring all was well, until…
I rolled out of the garage, followed my normal cold start routine, and BAM big noise in primary and engine stopped turning over. Starter motor humming. Heavy sigh Not again!? I hit the start button again and humming and hot wiring presented. Obviously, I didn’t try again.
So, I removed outer primary and found the pinion gear stuck in the ring gear; I pushed it with my finger and it released. The pinion gear and the ring gear appeared to be OK.
I removed the starter and took it back to the repair shop, told them this looooong story, and asked them to thoroughly examine and repair, or tell me if it was FUBAR. They completely rebuilt starter, new armature, brushes, gears, the works, for about $95.00.
Before reinstalling the starter, I got a new pinion gear and I recalled Frenchie saying to inspect the jackshaft bushing in the outer primary ( thank you), which was wallered-out bad. Replaced that

I ordered a Dyna ignition module, followed by a Dyna single fire coil. New plugs (Autolite vs HD), new plug wires, verified correct ignition timing. Had a local Indie do most of the ignition work.

Ran and idled great, but still would occasionally pop bang when restarting a warm engine.
Last week, I removed and cleaned the black soot from the discs in my SuperTrapp mufflers. When reinstalling the discs, I added two discs to the rear muffler, and one disc to the front. The spark plugs were also indicating a rich condition, so more discs should lean it out some. It’s only been a week, but no pops yet. But I did start a new thread about my cruise control.
And, NO, dang it; I don’t want to buy a new motorcycle.

This is some sort of a timing issue that is causing the kick-back. I assume that you have replaced the starter clutch. I was given this advice by a very well-respected motorcycle guru when I originally started having my problem years ago, and that is what it turned out to be. I wish you lots of luck in your search, and it sounds like you are not giving up anytime soon!!

Thanks for your input. Ignition timing and starter clutch have both been addressed.
It’s working fine for now, but I am not 100% sure the Gremlins are all dead.
I will persevere.

Back