free website stats program Why do dealers stick to "Don't change to synthetic until 5K" ??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why do dealers stick to "Don't change to synthetic until 5K" ???

I second the motion bill...I checked the critical fastener list and noticed that mine were not to spec as listed by service manual after service...I will not walk down that path again. At least I know the mechanic(and I use that term loosely) in my backyard(thats me) wont shortcut on service or he will be seeing a surgeon not a tech in the near future. Everything tends to be intimidating at first but winter is only good as it allows lots of "classroom time" in the garage and also a good reason to schnapps the coffee.:s

I have watched the videos on the clutch and primary adjustment, and how to lube the clutch cables. All of these seem do-able in my garage, but I honestly want them done right since the scoot is brand-new. I am going to go hang at my friend's shop one weekend and see if I can lean a bit more about how to properly do these things so that I can do them down the road. It's nice that there are all kinds of instructional videos out there these days that can help educate us on the proper methods. Wish those were out there 15 years ago!!

Thanks to you all for the insight and info! I always appreciate it.

Old school ideas die hard, was one of the early questions I asked the "-great one" when I first visited this site, a hold over from my automotive, rebuilding motor days. Anyone remember using STP Oil Treatment when poking new pistons and rings into your freshly honed bores...?

Old school ideas die hard, was one of the early questions I asked the "-great one" when I first visited this site, a hold over from my automotive, rebuilding motor days. Anyone remember using STP Oil Treatment when poking new pistons and rings into your freshly honed bores...?

STP was was a MUST !!!!

In the old days syn oil would not let the wear layer wear fast enough to properly seat the oil rings. This is no longer an issue with how tight modern tolerences are.

Wow, I might be in luck.

Please anybody with the service manual online or pdf file ??

2009 Ultra ( FLHTCU ) I think

Thanks in advance --chino

Last edited:
Wow, I might be in luck.

Please anybody with the service manual online or pdf file ??

2009 Ultra ( FLHTCU ) I think

Thanks in advance --chino

Do yourself a favor and buy the HD service manual,best money you will spend:s

STP for an assembly lube, boy that brings back memories....now I heat synoil in a pan, use an electruc oil pump and pump pre heated oil through the eingine before I fire it up. Have done this with small block Chevys, airplane engines and bike engines, so far so good, no wear issues with any of them. No syn for aircraft engines, still use straight mineral oil for break in the swith to multi weight aircraft oil, but not syn., have had some lifter issues with syn in aircraft engines.

Back